Engine HighTemp

THOMAS HEO
  • 1999 CHEVROLET VENTURE
I found a problem. The cooling fan starts working too late;only when the temperature needle goes up near "Red color Hi" does it start to work. In addition, the cooling fan stops working when the needle is not even halfway to the left. What is the problem? Is there a problem with the fan controller? My car is Chevy Venture 1999, by the way. Please help.
In addition, pump is new, coolant temperature sensor is new one (WT3024, BWD), and radiator is new one.
Friday, May 31st, 2013 AT 12:31 PM

Any signs of overheating besides the temp gage? Is the coolant level OK? Does the coolant in the recovery reservoir boil or boil over? How long since you changed the thermostat?

Some fans won't kick on till about 220 degrees. You may need to use an infra-red temp detector to double check your gage. You just point it at your engine and pull the trigger, it gives you a temp read-out in degrees F.

Any applicable trouble codes? Some of the national brand autostores will check codes for free.
Friday, May 31st, 2013 AT 1:07 PM
THOMAS HEO
Any signs of overheating besides the temp gauge?
- Yes

Is the coolant level OK?

-OK

Does the coolant in the recovery reservoir boil or boil over?
- No

How long since you changed the thermostat?

-In a week

Some fans won't kick on till about 220 degrees. You may need to use an infra-red temp detector to double check your gauge. You just point it at your engine and pull the trigger, it gives you a temp read-out in degrees F. Any applicable trouble codes? Some of the national brand auto-stores will check codes for free.

- Above your comment, I understand it!

Excuse me, please see my add image. I think when engine temp goes over point number One, fan kicks on. But engine temp is over point number Two, Fan works, and temp needle is on center, fan stops!
What happen?
Friday, May 31st, 2013 AT 2:59 PM
Another thought, maybe something wrong with fan motor. I've seen faulty fan motors, run intermittently. Took fan motor apart and those little brushes were wore down to the nub.
Friday, May 31st, 2013 AT 3:00 PM
THOMAS HEO
Maybe Fan control has problem?
Friday, May 31st, 2013 AT 3:02 PM
You could check voltage and ground at the fan connector when problem is ongoing. I can't think of anything else.
Friday, May 31st, 2013 AT 3:07 PM
THOMAS HEO
The fan does not run intermittently. As you can see, Fan kicks on too late, it stops so early.
Friday, May 31st, 2013 AT 3:11 PM
THOMAS HEO
Good morning!

Is it Ok that I add to engine the fan control, "Hayden Automotive 3651 Adjustable Thermostatic Fan Control " that it is found on www. Amazon. Com for Chevy venture 1999?
I guess that it is not bad thinking.
How do you think of it?
Monday, June 3rd, 2013 AT 4:35 AM
Your low speed fan relay energizes at 221 degrees f. It should energize if the ac is on.

All three fan relays should energize if the temp exceeds 235 degrees F or the ac pressure is greater than 275 psi.

I'd have to verify the temp in degrees F. If the fan/s are cutting on and off, that is intermittent.

Check for trouble codes. If there is a problem with the pcm--cooling fan relays-- or coolant temp sensor wiring circuit, there should be trouble code.

I can't comment on that aftermarket part you are thinking about using, I've never used it. You will have to do what you think is best. It's your decision.
Monday, June 3rd, 2013 AT 11:28 AM
EDNJA
I have a 2000 Chevy Venture and have the same problem, but I wouldn't say the fans turn on close to the red. The fans turn on when the temperature gauge points to about the 2nd mark past the top. Chevy venture fans turn on at about 220F, which in my opinion is way too hot. I suspect GM designed it that way so the engine and transmission will fail sooner. Heat is like the main cause for engine and transmission failure. Chevy ventures have alot of transmission failures and I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with this 220 degree fan turn on design. I don't know this for fact, but it's what I'm suspecting. I'm going to purchase an aftermarket fan controller for my venture and set it so that the fans turn on at about 180 to 195 degrees F. In the old cars, with fans driven directly by the engine drive shaft, the fans turned on as soon as the engine was turned on. The speed of fan varied with the speed of the engine. With my Venture, the fans hardly ever turn on even though it runs quite hot. This in my opinion is just wrong.
Monday, April 10th, 2017 AT 10:47 AM
KEN
Hey,

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out on the site whenever it can add information that will help.

Best, Ken
Wednesday, April 12th, 2017 AT 7:13 PM
DMRWORK
  • 1999 CHEVROLET VENTURE
1999 Chevy Venture 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive

The car is overheating and backing coolant out the overflow bottle. After about 10 minutes the cooling system will go to about 20 psi. The engine starts right up and runs smooth. Is this a cause of lower engine damage or is it just a bad head gasket, and why.
Wednesday, April 12th, 2017 AT 7:14 PM (Merged)
RHALL77
Did you have a leak or work done to it recently. You may have a air pocket causing the coolant to overflow. Check and see if there is a leak.
POLKAHOLIC
I have the same problem and it was the result of a leak. The problem I am having is getting the air out, I would appreciate any ideas to help with this.
RHALL77
Open both bleeder screws once in a while when the van is running, this will help remove any air in the system
MARTHFAMILY
  • 1999 CHEVROLET VENTURE
Engine Cooling problem
1999 Chevy Venture 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 93000 miles

Van lost heating, my husband replaced thermostat, it acted up again, so he replaced another element (cannot recall name). A few weeks later, van lost heat & I noticed it was overheating. I tried to drive home, the van powered down 1 block from home - waited a few mins & continue to drive home.

Husband was done fooling with this, and I took van to family mechanic to have another thermostat put in. Mechanic says it has a blown head gasket & wants $1500.

We do not concur with his diagnosis because all fluids are where they should be. There is no evidnce of any loss in oil, trans fluid, or coolant.

Currently looking for another mech that's quick (other mech we know has a back-up of at least 1 week all the time).

Any suggestions? Would you agree with a head gasket? Is there something else we should be looking for?
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Check coolant again with vehicle running is it bubbling if it is does it smell like exhaust fumes? If it does then yes you most likely have a blown head gasket. And that is also causing the over heating.

Another thing to check is your radiator, with engine cold run your finger up or down the fins if the turn to dust then most likely you need a radiator. Also check radiator cap.

.
ADDIE04
  • 1999 CHEVROLET VENTURE
Engine Cooling problem
1999 Chevy Venture 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Could you please tell me where the thermostat is located on the engine? Thanks
RHALL77
It is located on the back side of the engine below the throttle body
JSOLANO
  • 1999 CHEVROLET VENTURE
Engine Cooling problem
1999 Chevy Venture 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 89500 miles

When ever I turn on the air on the car, there is a very loud noise coming from the engine, like if there was something hitting every time it turns. As soonest I turn off the air, the noise goes away. What do you think would be the issue?
Wednesday, April 12th, 2017 AT 7:15 PM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT
Check and suspect AC compressor clutch