Brake goes to the floor?

JKLOP
  • 1999 CHEVROLET S-10
Yesterday I changed the brake pads and the calipers on my s-10. I put some new brake fluid is on max level but the brake goes to the floor and dose not stop.
Tuesday, March 17th, 2015 AT 7:37 AM

Bleed it with a scanner he can hold abs valves open with it to bleed it correctly. you can try to bleed it but may not be successful or the master may be bad. This guide can help.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/brake-pedal-goes-to-the-floor

Please run down this guide and report back.
Tuesday, March 17th, 2015 AT 8:18 AM
KRISTIN STONE
  • 1999 CHEVROLET S-10
Had rear brakes done about a month ago and have had no trouble until today. Except my parking brake hasn't worked in a month. So today I notice my brake pedal is going all the way to the floor almost not stopping my truck at all. I have a friend look at it an he tries bleeding the brakes. That worked great for about 20 minutes then back to the floor and the Brake light comes on but if you tap the brakes again it will go off. Oh and now the parking brake is working. I have no clue what's going on but would love any advice? TIA
Thursday, August 27th, 2020 AT 6:30 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Good morning,

This sounds like you need a master cylinder for the brakes. The seals internally are not holding pressure at all.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-brake-master-cylinder

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-bleed-or-flush-a-car-brake-system

I attached the bleeding process for you below as well.

As far as the parking brake, I bet they adjusted the rear brakes and that took care of the parking brake issue.

Two Person Procedure

Important:
Use the two-person bleed procedure under the following conditions:
- Installing a new Electro-Hydraulic Control Unit (EHCU) or new Brake Pressure Modulator Valve(BPMV).
Air is trapped in the valve body
Do not drive the vehicle until the brake pedal feels firm.
Do not reuse brake fluid that is used during bleeding.
Use the vacuum, the pressure and the gravity bleeding procedures only for base brake bleeding.

1. Raise the vehicle in order to access the system bleed screws.
2. Bleed the system at the right rear wheel first.
3. Install a clear hose on the bleed screw.
4. Immerse the opposite end of the hose into a container partially filled with clean DOT 3 brake fluid.
5. Open the bleed screw 1/2 to one full turn.
6. Slowly depress the brake pedal. While the pedal is depressed to its full extent, tighten the bleed screw.
7. Release the brake pedal and wait 10-15 seconds for the master cylinder pistons to return to the home position.
8. Repeat the previous steps for the remaining wheels. The brake fluid which is present at each bleed screw should be clean and free of air.
9. This procedure may use more than a pint of fluid per wheel. Check the master cylinder fluid level every four to six strokes of the brake pedal in order to avoid running the system dry.
10. Press the brake pedal firmly and run the Scan Tool Automated Bleed Procedure. Release the brake pedal between each test.
11. Bleed all four wheels again using Steps 3-9. This will remove the remaining air from the brake system.
12. Evaluate the feel of the brake pedal before attempting to drive the vehicle.
13. Bleed the system as many times as necessary in order to obtain the appropriate feel of the pedal.
EINSELE
  • 1998 CHEVROLET S-10
Broken brake line on 1998 Chevrolet S10 2 wheel drive 4 cyl. Replaced and bled brakes I only have front brakes that work no rear brakes. Have bled them several times and still nothing! Stumped please help!
Did you follow proper brake bleeding procedures? What about bleeding the abs system? Can you check for abs trouble codes?
-1
EINSELE
Yes we did the proper bleeding procedures, we have bled them before and it was fine. Abs system? Confused on that one and no way to check trouble codes. Thanks for your help.
+1
The site just informed me that I can't use my databases to help you. Sorry about that. Post your question again, maybe one of the others can help you?
EINSELE
Okay thanks! Have a great weekend
If no pressure on hydraulic line, three channel hydraulic lines. One channel for rear brakes, probably a tee on rear housing, if applicable take hydraulic line loose from tee, see if you can get any fluid from supply line? If nothing, follow the supply line, if it goes to abs module, I can't help you unless you can do abs diagnostics.

You may be able to check fluid lines from hydraulic master cylinder to abs module if possible? Hope you got it fixed by now. Sorry the late come-back.
NOMAD943
  • 1998 CHEVROLET S-10
My brakes were working fine until one day when I was forced to do a full panic stop from about 35 mph.
The truck stopped perfectly, but after that the pedal basicaly goes right to the floor with only a little catch at the very end coming from the rear brakes.
The obvious problems did not manifest. The fluid level remained up. No leaks were detected anywhere. I bled the lines but basicaly found no air.
As a last gasp I gambled and changed out the master cylinder. Same situation exactly.
When the truck is not running there feels like there is some pedal, but as soon as I start it up. Right to the floor. Any ideas?
NOMAD943
To answer my own question for anyone who encounters a similar problem:
I found another similar question on this site which mentioned the possibility of the front rubber brake lines "expanding" when the brakes were applied and even though I didnt observe any actual expansion in the lines myself, I replaced them anyhow.
Problem solved, total cost 26$.
Now if only I could return that master cylinder . Lol
CRAFTSMAN62
  • 1996 CHEVROLET S-10
  • 176 MILES
I have, already posted my brake problem. Thank you.
Thursday, August 27th, 2020 AT 6:31 PM (Merged)
Hi,

I checked back through all unanswered questions and nothing is there. I'm not sure why it didn't come through to us. What is happening and how can I help?

CRAFTSMAN62
Hi, let me try again on my truck listed above my brake pedal sticks to the floor. Sometimes it releases on its own or I can turn the engine off it will release it. Does not stick all the time.
+1
CRAFTSMAN62
My front wheels don't lock up just my left rear wheel.
Okay, is the brake fluid staying full? The idea that only one brake is working (rear) tells me there is either a fluid issue or the master cylinder has failed. Also, the idea that the brake pedal stays to the floor until the engine is turned off is really odd but is most likely related to a faulty vacuumed controlled brake booster.

First, try something. Do not drive the vehicle like this, but I want you to disconnect the vacuum supply to the brake booster behind the master cylinder. The brakes should become hard to press. Tell me if the pedal still sticks. Also, the idea that the pedal goes to the floor is a strong indicator that if the brake fluid is not low, the master cylinder has failed.

Take a look through this link:

Check to confirm there are no leaks under the vehicle and that the fluid is full. Also, disconnect the vacuum hose to the booster and see if the pedal still is sticking.

Let me know the results.
CRAFTSMAN62
Yes, I will trouble shoot and let you know. And go from there. Thanks for the info.
Not a problem. I will watch for your reply.

Take care,
+1
CRAFTSMAN62
Okay, it will be tomorrow. Dennis
Not a problem. The biggest concern is if the brake fluid reservoir is low or empty. Also, let me know if the brake light is on and if the vehicle has ABS.

Take care,
+1

Sponsored links