WE HAD A HEAVY SNOW A FEW WEEKS AGO AND IT ...

1999 Chevrolet Blazer

jihughes79

We had a heavy snow a few weeks ago and it shifted into 4hi fine. Now when I try to shift back to 2hi it won't go. It has the electronic shift. When I press the 2hi button the button blinks and the transfer case makes a clicking noise as though its trying to shift but doesn't. I checked fuses and they are fine. I also checked the lube level in the transfer case and it is fine. I don't know if the lube has ever been changed. I hesitated changing the lube in fear that it may just be a waste of time if the transfer case is bad. My questions is whether or not it is the transfer case switch, transfer case control module, seals, transfer case motor, or transfer case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hmac300

It may be the actuator on the tcase. It can be scanned to see where the problem lies or if you like crawl under an dsee if actuator is working, it's probably not. They are baout a$100 if you do it yourself

jihughes79

Can you give me an idea of what the actuator looks like? I have the Haynes manual for it and the only things listed for transfer case problems were the items I previously listed. I looked up "actuator" in the index and under "Transfer Case" and couldn't find anything. Thanks

hmac300

Its the motor encoder pic included

jihughes79

So I'm trying to replace the part you indicated. The Haynes manual says to disconnect the front driveshaft to access the part. I can't get the driveshaft disconnected from the transfer case. The manual states that it should slide out. Is it not sliding out because it's in 4 wheel drive? If that's the case, how can I replace the part? I tried removing the part with the driveshaft where it is but I can't remove two of the three bolts because the driveshaft is in the way. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for all your help.

hmac300

Try jacking the front axle up to takethe pressure off and then remove driveshaft. Have you disconnect harness andpulled out of way our manual says nothing about removing driveshaft. You may need a wobbler socketto remove bolts.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Wheel Stud Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier