I WAS DRIVING AND MY CAR SHUT OFF

1998 Toyota Camry

shadowgraham

December, 9, 2012 AT 8:19 AM

I was driving and my car shut off. I started it again and began driving. A few moments later it shut off once again. I pulled over and the car was smoking and the temp gauge red hot
The car would not start again. I popped the hood to see if their was a hose biated or something visibly wrong. I then checked the oil. The oil was so low it barely registered on the dipschtick.I checked the oil about two weeks ago and it was clean but a quart low so I added a quart. A friend told me it probably needed water so it ate up the oil and my motor became too hot and locked up. Is my motor fried? Is their anyway to unlock the motor?

fixitmr

December, 9, 2012 AT 8:38 AM

When you say it would not start, did it turnover(crank) or just ckick. Have you manually tried to turn crankshaft? If locked, find the tight bearing and fix it.

shadowgraham

December, 9, 2012 AT 8:49 AM

No it wouldnt crank. It just clicked. Also when I looked under the hood the engine was so hot it was glowing red. Is my motor toast?

December, 9, 2012 AT 9:25 AM

High possibility the engine has overheated badly and is seized. When engine cools down you might be able to crank it but it most probably won't start.

The part glowing red hot should be the catalytic converter and it would occur thus if the gnie was misfiring badly prior to stalling.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test