WONT START

1998 Saturn SC2

Paranor011

October, 13, 2011 AT 4:51 AM

I had to replace the head gasket and that turned out successful but im not sure if the TDC is right on the Harmonic Balancer. But I put everthing back together and tried to start her nd nothing. She wants to turn but isnt I might have the timing off. If someone can assist me on what I should do. Im taking the timing wall off to reset the TDC so hopefully that does it.

October, 13, 2011 AT 5:01 AM

Put the engine no.1 piston on its compressiion stroke/TDC and align the cam and crank to its marking as indicated in the repair manual

Paranor011

October, 13, 2011 AT 5:08 AM

Well I have the chilton manual and I cant find anything on TDC or im just not looking hard enough

October, 13, 2011 AT 5:18 AM

What liter engine is this?

Paranor011

October, 13, 2011 AT 5:21 AM

1.9

saturntech9

October, 15, 2011 AT 1:24 AM

Those are the easiest engines to time they habe colored links on the timing chain dowl holes you can line up with a drill bit. Do you still need timing marks diagram?

Paranor011

October, 15, 2011 AT 1:38 AM

Yeah that would be helpful

saturntech9

October, 16, 2011 AT 9:03 PM

There you go sorry it took so long I lost track of your question. Let me know what you find.

Paranor011

October, 16, 2011 AT 9:10 PM

Ok thanks I assembled it and tried to start it and it sounds better. But wont start the guys at the auto shop recommend I use a little starter fluid since it hasnt been started n a long time. Im not sure.

saturntech9

October, 16, 2011 AT 9:24 PM

If you pop off the valve cover you can check the timing that way you dont have to remove the front cover. Check the timing and let me know what you find. Also those cars are known for bad coolant temp sensor and those cause no starts. Also the connectors to them get corroded as well and have to be replaced. Let me know what you find and we will go from there.

Paranor011

October, 16, 2011 AT 9:29 PM

Sounds good. Where is the coolant temp sensor?

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement