I WAS DRIVING MY CAR THE OTHER DAY AND IT DIED

1998 Saturn SC2

chefbob

I was driving my car the other day and it died. It did not sputter or anything just went totally dead. When I tried to start it again it just made a single click. I ran the battery down trying to start it and had it charged again. When I tried to start it the next day it turned over a few times but would not stay running. An hour later I was able to start it and it ran for a few hours. Later that evening while driving it went dead again, and I have not been able to get it started again. Sometimes I get a single click others its sounds like it wants to turn over. The battery and alternator are working fine. What I am wondering is if it is the starter, or if there is something else I should check before taking it out to have it tested.

saturntech9

You could have a bad starter causing the engine to not turn over the engine. But that would not explain the dieing while driving. So did you make sure the battery cable's are clean and tight?Also you had the battery load tested at the auto part's store?Did you have the alternator tested there as well?Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?There really is no reason to remove the starter to test it. Do you have any code's?So the engine will die while driving and then crank no start?Or no crank no start?The more detail's the better.

chefbob

I had the battery tested at the auto store they said it was good. I have a charger that has an alternator setting on it when it was running it read 110-120. When the car dies it does not crank or start after I wait a couple of hours and try to start it sometimes it clicks once and sometimes it trys to turn over but sounds like it does not have enough power to start. I do not have a multimeter or any codes. The battery cables are clean and tight. I have not been able to get it started now for two weeks. When I turn the key everything gets power( radio windows lights ect.)

saturntech9

If your charger read's DC voltage do you mean at idle the voltage read's 11.0 volt's-12.0 volt's if so your alternator isn't charging like it should. If you had a multimeter that would really help to figure this out.

chefbob

I will get a hold of one and see what it says. Thank you for your help.

saturntech9

Charge the battery up check all the fuse's and see if it start's. If it doesn't start let me know and what it's doing. If it does start let me know what the voltage at the battery is at idle and we will go from there.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right