1998 Nissan Altima Car starting issue

PKURO29
  • 1998 NISSAN ALTIMA
Recently, after driving to the store, my car wouldn't start. No crank, no click, no whirring. I waited about a minute and moved the transmission to neutral and back to park, reinserted the key, and the engine turned over like nothing happened. I used the car since without any problems. Then, yesterday, I turned the car on, warmed it up, and about a 1000yds from my home, the engine just shut off. I turned the car off and attempted to restart it. It ran with no problem.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but if this is something that is of immediate attention, then I'd like to get it fixed. Is this something that I should fix right away or is it not a problem?
Tuesday, January 27th, 2015 AT 10:09 PM

The clue I need is what about the head lights, interior lights, and lights on the dash. If everything was dead, follow the smaller battery positive wire to the under-hood fuse box and be sure that connection is clean and tight.

If everything worked except the starter, the neutral safety switch is a good suspect. If it doesn't crank in "park", but it does in "neutral", that's another strong clue to a defective switch.
Tuesday, January 27th, 2015 AT 10:30 PM