I will be doing an engine swap on a Montero shortly and I have a few questions. I am fairly mechanically inclined (a few Honda & Subaru engine swaps as well as headgaskets under my belt) but I cannot seem to find a guide on the internet of how to go about swapping one of these engines out.
1. Should I leave the transmission attached to the engine when pulling the engine? What would be easiest? I will have access to an engine hoist, jackstands, and a floor jack. No air tools however.
2. Easier to pull the engine from the top or bottom? If I come out through the top do I need to pull the radiator or A/C condenser?
3. I know there are always small little things about swaps that are a bit tricky, any special bolts/locations/linkages commonly screwed up tidbits that I should be aware of? Or steps that would make pulling or removing the engine easier?
4. I don't know if the Montero I am getting is a sport or not but it is my understanding that there is a difference between the two engines. Does it matter if the engine I get is a sport or not? I know that one engine is bigger then the other but pertaining to mounts/wiring are they the same?
5. I cant think of anything else. If you know if some links that I could look up that would be great. I would like steer away from buying a manual as I have found first hand experience is much better.
have the same problem?
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 9:39 PM