Car will not start

JESSEBKNAPP
  • 1998 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
  • 147 MILES

When I put the key in and turn it a few of the items on the gauge cluster work but the car will not start, also there is a clicking noise coming from the ecu area? The fuel gauge works. There is a clicking noise coming from the ECU

Saturday, December 17th, 2011 AT 7:08 PM

MERLIN2021

What is the security light on your dash doing? Turn key on, it should say on for 2-3 seconds, then go out, 98's had an issue with the instrument cluster and the PCM, a wiring kit is installed to solve it.

+2
Saturday, December 17th, 2011 AT 7:17 PM
MERLIN2021

4.6L - INTERMITTENT OR CONTINUOUS CRANK/NO START
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 98-17-7, Date of Issue: September 1, 1998
Related Ref Number(s): 98-17-7
ARTICLE BEGINNING
CONDITIONS
CRANK - INTERMITTENT OR CONTINUOUS - VEHICLES WITH 4.6L ENGINE
NO START - INTERMITTENT OR CONTINUOUS - VEHICLES WITH 4.6L ENGINE
APPLICATIONS
Model(s): Lincoln-Mercury: 1998 Town Car
Bulletin No: 98-17-7
Date: September 1, 1998
ISSUE
An intermittent or continuous crank/no start condition may occur on some vehicles. This may be
caused by a timing delay between the powering of the Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) transceiver
and the Hybrid Electronic Cluster (HEC) when the key is turned to the "on" position.
ACTION
Install updated components based upon vehicle build date. Use the following SERVICE
PROCEDURES to determine the appropriate repair action based on the vehicle build date and
symptoms.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
SERVICE ACTION INFORMATION
PROCEDURE 1
Build Date Diagnostic Trouble Codes
(DTCs)
Action Step To Take
Job #1 to 2/9/98 (U.S.
Vehicles) And Job #1 to
2/21/98 (Canadian vehicles)
B161 Install Harness Kit per Step 1
From 2/20/98 to 4/30/98 B122 (B1681 and/or B1600
may also be present)
Replace Transceiver Module
per Step 2
4.6L - INTERMITTENT OR CONTINUOUS CRANK/NO START -1998 Lincoln Intermittent no start
Theft indicator at top of instrument panel flashing during the crank/no start event
Fault code B1681 (PATS Transceiver Signal is not received) in HEC
PROCEDURE
1. Follow Pinpoint Test B1681 in Section 419-01 of the 1998 Town Car Workshop Manual.
2. If the Pinpoint Test fails to identify the cause for the no start, install the Jumper Harness kit
(F8VZ-15K607-AA). Installation instructions are included with the kit.
PROCEDURE 2
SYMPTOMS
Intermittent or continuous no start
Theft indicator at top of instrument panel flashing during the event
Fault code B1232 (defective transceiver) in HEC, fault codes B1681 and/or B1600 (PATS
ignition key transponder signal not received) may also be present
PROCEDURE
1. Replace the Transceiver Module (F8SZ-15607-AA). Refer to the 1998 Town Car Workshop
Manual, Page 419-01-43, for procedure.
2. If none of the above symptoms or codes are present, continue with normal diagnosis by
symptom. Refer to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Service Manual.
The Jumper Kit (F8VZ-15K607-AA) contains the following:
One (1) Jumper
Three (3) Push Pins
One (1) Tie Strap
One (1) Instruction Sheet
PARTS INFORMATION
PARTS INFORMATION
WARRANTY INFORMATION
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage.
Part Number Part Name
F8VZ-15K607-AA Jumper Harness Kit
F8SZ-15607-AA Transceiver Module
4.6L - INTERMITTENT OR CONTINUOUS CRANK/NO START -1998 Lincoln OPERATION: 981707A
DESCRIPTION: Install Jumper Harness Kit
TIME: 0.4 Hr.
OPERATION: 981707B
DESCRIPTION: Install Transceiver Module
TIME: 0.8 Hr.
DEALER CODING: BASIC PART NO: 15607
CONDITION CODE: 42
OASIS CODES: 112000, 603300

+5
Saturday, December 17th, 2011 AT 7:20 PM
JESSEBKNAPP

I just went out and checked the light: If I turn the key one position forward it continuosely blinks every few seconds (not a fast blink). If I turn the key two positions forward the light doesnt do anything. Also if I turn the key backwards I recieve the same type of blinking as if I turned it to the 1st position I explained. Reading the response you gave me I think it may be the transciever module. Any comments on that? And also if it is. Is this something I could do on my own?

+1
Saturday, December 17th, 2011 AT 7:44 PM
MERLIN2021

Not unless you have the Ford super star tester to progam the new module into your car. When you say the light doesnt do anything, I need to know if when the key is out of the ignition, it blinks ever 2-3 seconds, then what it does when the key is turned to the run(on) position.

+1
Sunday, December 18th, 2011 AT 12:59 AM
MERLIN2021

Also, does it crank or not?

Sunday, December 18th, 2011 AT 1:00 AM
JESSEBKNAPP

Hey merlin2021, thx for all your help. I just checked it and when the key is out of the ignition the light has the same blinking pattern as I mentioned before (every few seconds continuosly). And no it does not crank.A few times when I turn the key all the way as if I was cranking it I have heard a few different noises from under the steering wheel area.

+1
Sunday, December 18th, 2011 AT 4:42 AM
MERLIN2021

Check the battery and cables, Town Cars need at least 12v in the battery to crank even 11.6 wont do it. Also check ignition and PCM fuses. With key in the run(on) position the light shoud stay on steady for 2-3 seconds, then go out, then it can start. If the light does anything elese tell me.

+2
Sunday, December 18th, 2011 AT 3:00 PM
JESSEBKNAPP

WoW! Thank you! :) I looked closer at the battery terminals and tthey were very corroded so I went to Advance and got some new ones put them on and she started rite up! Thank you so much merlin2021! You saved me a lot of money! God bless you and Merry Christmas!

Sunday, December 18th, 2011 AT 8:07 PM
MERLIN2021

You're welcome, and merry Christmas to you
!

Sunday, December 18th, 2011 AT 9:08 PM

YOU ARE THE MAN MERLIN2021 !

Monday, December 19th, 2011 AT 3:46 PM
CATHY GILLESPIE
  • 1998 LINCOLN TOWN CAR

1998 Lincoln Town Car

Recently, the engine will turn over, but will not start. If we wait a few minutes and then try agian it will start. What could this be

+1
Saturday, April 1st, 2017 AT 5:00 PM (Merged)

Lets do below for a start to determine if its fuel or spark related issue and get back asap.

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

PETER VAZZANA
  • 1998 LINCOLN TOWN CAR

1998 Lincoln Town Car V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

My towncar has been sitting for a number (4) of months. I have charged the battery but the car will not start. Although it will turn over at a reasonabl;e rate, it appears that it is not getting any spark. Gas does not appear to be the problem since if you push the gas peddle down several time the smell is very apparent.

What should I do to get this car started?

Thanks, Peter

No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

MILLENNIUMTRANSPORT2000
  • 1998 LINCOLN TOWN CAR

1998 Lincoln Town Car V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 332000 miles

my car wont start sometimes (every second day or so) after I shut it off. I have to wait for couple of hours. Someone told me its Engine Control Module that needs to be replaced?

JACK42

Engine cranks but wont start? Have the PCM scanned for trouble codes. If th ecomputer (PCM) sees a sensor not working, it will set a code. This will lead to the fix for your car. If no codes, you will need to test for fuel pressure when it wont start, I have seen old/weak fuel pumps do what you describe, but check pressure first

MILLENNIUMTRANSPORT2000

Actually let me re explain because I kind of didnt detail my question. Here is what happens. I put the key in the ignition, turn it to on positioin, I can see the lights on the dashboard but when I turn it to start, nothing happens even the lights on the dashboard goes off. So, I wait about hour or so and it starts right up. It happens every second or third day not all the time.

JACK42

If it loses all power like that, start by cleaning the battery connections and be sure they are tight. If they are dirty or lose, the draw from the starter can kill the connection. Try the headlights, whe it wont start, if they are bright you may have a bad ignition switch, if they dont light up, check connections

MILLENNIUMTRANSPORT2000

Thankyou so much for your feedback. It was the bad starter. Some of the brushes were bad.

JACK42

Glad you found the problem