SO I HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE COIL INSIDE THE ...

1998 Honda Civic

l2wo4our

March, 18, 2013 AT 9:33 PM

So I had problems with the coil inside the distributor and I had replaced it 6 months ago and just yesterday my car turned off while driving. It cranks and everything but theres no spark in the spark plugs. So I know its the coil again. My question is "what can cause the coil to go bad twice?" Should I just replace the coil again? Or should I just buy the whole distributor and replace that?.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Randico

March, 18, 2013 AT 10:42 PM

The igniter is a famous for no start with no spark, what will make a coil go bad, a failing ignitor, a distributor cap missing the the button. You may not even need a coil but the ignitor, There is a reason why they sell the whole distributor

l2wo4our

March, 19, 2013 AT 8:07 AM

So to avoid problems I should just replace the whole distributor?

F4I_guy

March, 28, 2013 AT 3:58 AM

Just because you have no spark doesn't mean it's automatically the ignition coil. There are sensors inside the distributor that measure cylinder position and this signal is needed to time the ignition and injector pulse. I would replace the whole distributor to ensure you don't have another problem.

However, if it is a faulty coil again, you may have a short in the engine harness or the secondary ignition may have high resistance (rotor/cap, wires or plugs)