SO I HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE COIL INSIDE THE ...

• l2wo4our
  • 1998 Honda Civic

So I had problems with the coil inside the distributor and I had replaced it 6 months ago and just yesterday my car turned off while driving. It cranks and everything but theres no spark in the spark plugs. So I know its the coil again. My question is "what can cause the coil to go bad twice?" Should I just replace the coil again? Or should I just buy the whole distributor and replace that?.

Monday, March 18th, 2013 AT 9:33 PM

• Randico

The igniter is a famous for no start with no spark, what will make a coil go bad, a failing ignitor, a distributor cap missing the the button. You may not even need a coil but the ignitor, There is a reason why they sell the whole distributor

Monday, March 18th, 2013 AT 10:42 PM
  • l2wo4our

So to avoid problems I should just replace the whole distributor?

Tuesday, March 19th, 2013 AT 8:07 AM
  • F4I_guy

Just because you have no spark doesn't mean it's automatically the ignition coil. There are sensors inside the distributor that measure cylinder position and this signal is needed to time the ignition and injector pulse. I would replace the whole distributor to ensure you don't have another problem.

However, if it is a faulty coil again, you may have a short in the engine harness or the secondary ignition may have high resistance (rotor/cap, wires or plugs)

Thursday, March 28th, 2013 AT 3:58 AM