DOES MAF CLEANER HARM MY ENGINE IF IT GETS INTO THE INTAKE

1998 Ford Explorer

jeff.barger@live.com

December, 14, 2011 AT 7:33 AM

What would CRC mass air flow sensor do if it got into throttle body & I started the car? It is a 1998 ford explorer xlt over head cam v6. Will that harm my engine?

DrCranknWrench

December, 14, 2011 AT 7:39 AM

It should be fine. Mass Air Flow cleaner is pretty mild compared to carb cleaner and I have seen many people run their cars at high idle and spray tons of carb cleaner down a carb. So, a little MAF cleaner is pretty mild stuff and if you did not spray tons of it or have it revving to 3000 RPMs, chances are your okay.

jeff.barger@live.com

December, 14, 2011 AT 7:51 AM

What could happen if you did put alot of mass air flow cleaner in the there?

DrCranknWrench

December, 15, 2011 AT 3:30 AM

I still don't think it would do any damage as it is less caustic than carb cleaner as the MAF is made up of sensing wires about the gauge of human hairs in many cases. So the engine would tough to damage with it as the worst it might do is to stall the engine. Especially as long as you were not revving the heck out of it it would stall the motor probably as it is not caustic enoguh to burn in engine.

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
Air Filter Replacement Acura TSX
Air Filter Replacement Subaru Legacy
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford