TRUCK KEEPS STALLING

• bcmullen95
  • 1998 Chevrolet S-10

Replaced the fuel pump, fuel relay and repaired some ground wires by the brake lights. What else could be causing it too stall. The fuel tank has a high spot where the fuel pump sits. The truck was stalling before the fuel pump was replaced.

Monday, June 18th, 2012 AT 3:02 PM

• KHLow2008

Are you able to restart easily?

When does the stalling occurs? Only while idling or even when accelerator is partially engaged?

Monday, June 18th, 2012 AT 3:06 PM
  • bcmullen95

It will do it at idle or while driving.

Monday, June 18th, 2012 AT 3:21 PM
  • KHLow2008

Are you able to restart easily? What is the idling speed at operating temperature?

Monday, June 18th, 2012 AT 4:12 PM
  • bcmullen95

Yes it does start easily, the operating temp is about 200 and the idle speed is 800-900 RPMs. The oil pump gauge reads a low reading then goes to a normal reading when I raise the idle. The check gauges light will come on usually before it stalls. There are no codes currently or stared codes currently on the truck.

Monday, June 18th, 2012 AT 5:15 PM
  • KHLow2008

If the CEL comes on with no trouble codes, you could have a failing engine computer or has a loose connection somewhere. Check the ECM fpr sings of contaminations due to water entry etc. Ensure all cnnectors are clean and secure. Recheck all ground circuit connections.

If all fails, you would need to plug in a scan tool and monitor the live data to check what is not functioning correctly.

Monday, June 18th, 2012 AT 5:29 PM
  • bcmullen95

The CEL does not come on because it is different that the check gauges light. The one that comes on is check gauges not service engine soon or check engine light. I just checked the fuel pressure and it is testing 45-50 psi on the high point and right around 40 psi constant. Would a low psi cause the fuel pump to over work itself or could there be a different problem. Replaced the fuel pump with an aftermarket one and had to switch out the connecter to the fuel pump. Could an incorrect wiring job cause a low fuel pressure?

Monday, June 18th, 2012 AT 6:35 PM
  • KHLow2008

Have the ignition switch checked. Note if the ignition switch is hot to the touch when problem occurs.

Monday, June 18th, 2012 AT 7:09 PM
  • bcmullen95

I will do that, I will run it for a while until it stalls then inspect the ignition switch.

Monday, June 18th, 2012 AT 7:58 PM
  • bcmullen95

Was just out there running the truck while idling it would stall with the oil pressure gauge at 10 and the rpms at 850. Most of the time it would start right away, but once it took about 5 min before it would start again. I did not notice ti ignition switch to be really hot. Is there a way to test the ignition switch to see if it is the problem?

Monday, June 18th, 2012 AT 9:54 PM
  • bcmullen95

Could a bad starter solenoid cause it to stall as well? It does not want to turn over the battery voltage is at 12.50 and the voltage while cranking is 10.5.

Monday, June 18th, 2012 AT 10:04 PM