CHEVY ENGINE DIED

1998 Chevrolet S-10

crazedlove99

October, 13, 2008 AT 6:47 PM

1998 Chevy S-10 Two Wheel Drive Manual

I have a '98 S-10 w/ the 2.2L SFI engine and manual transmission. While driving, the engine slowed gradually until it stopped, and did not respond to me pushing the accelerator. Which seemed to me that it wasn't getting fuel, and I didn't hear the fuel pump when I tried to restart the engine. I checked all the fuses under the hood and under the dash, and all were ok. I also tested the relays for the fuel pump and ecm, which were also ok. So I changed the fuel pump thinking that would fix the problem. It didn't. So looking at other's problems, I drew the conclusion that the ecm was the problem. Ok, so I replaced the ecm and it was programmed for my vin #. Went through the 10 minute learning process (the security light didn't stay on after the key switch was turned on like the instructions said). This still didn't fix the problem. The fuel pump still can't be heard and there is no fuel to the fuel rail. So the engine still won't start. Also bought a code scanner and the scanner doesn't come on when connected to the port. I turned it on manually and when I try to read the codes, it tells me that the " tool must be connected to the vehicle to perform the test.&Quot; Again checked the fuses and relays and all are ok. HELP!

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

October, 13, 2008 AT 7:04 PM

Wire the fuel pump direct from the battery and tell me what happned.

crazedlove99

October, 13, 2008 AT 7:39 PM

Actually had thought bout that, but didn't try it yet. Do you know how much power is supposed to be going to the pump? I tested it, and there is 5.03v on the purple wire in the big harness and the same on the gray wire in the small harness, both on top of the fuel pump.

October, 13, 2008 AT 7:48 PM

5.0volts That's not enough -your losing it somewhere do a voltage drop test

crazedlove99

October, 13, 2008 AT 8:14 PM

How would I do that and accurately?

October, 13, 2008 AT 8:30 PM

Sir-if you don't have an electrical background and the proper usage a DVOM your best bet is bring it in-this thing can get complicated.

The computer energizes the fuel pump relay and comes on for 2 secs-if it doesn't do that-the power will not reach the fuel pump. You said that you tested the fuses and relay that it checked out -all you got now is the wiring from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump or the computer itself

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fp1_10.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_oil_sending_unit_and_fuel_pump_circuit_76.gif

FRANCISCO ORDAZ

December, 26, 2010 AT 7:04 PM

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IF YOU GOT IT FIX CAN YOU HELP ME.

crazedlove99

December, 29, 2010 AT 5:58 AM

We found out that it was a ground wire at the back of the bed. We were thinking it was the ground for the tail lights, not the fuel pump. We gave up and took it to a mechanic, he saw the wire wasn't grounded. He grounded it and it started fine. So my advice is to check all of your grounding points under the bed.