Cooling fan not working

FARIDMASUD
  • 1997 SATURN SL2
I have a 97 Saturn (4-dr) in which the cooling fan will not turn on and can not figure out what is causing the the problem - I replaced the temp sensor, flushed the radiator, tested the fan with battery and it worked, changed the fan relay and still can not get the fan to turn on - should I just hard wire it and manually turn it on/off? Please give me advice - thank you
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 9:53 AM

SATURNTECH9

It sounds like you have a cooling fan relay that is not working or the fan motor burned out here are guides and cooling fan wiring diagrams to show you how the system works and the relay location as well.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-electric-fan-motor

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 4:12 PM
FARIDMASUD
Yes - A/C works and it causes the fan to come on - doesn't the A/C have a direct line to the fan anyways? - Oh, yes the temp gauge does go down - but the weather has been very cool and I don't want to turn on the A/C with 50 degree weather - someone told me it could be a defective new temp sensor or the line going to the fan motor is bad - how do I test the line and what is the voltage that should be coming out before going to the fan motor? - Thanx and wait to hear from you.
-2
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 1:25 AM
SATURNTECH9
If you cooling fan come's on with the a/c then your radiator cooling fan circuit is good relay wire's etc.When you replaced the temp sensor in the head did you look at the connector going to it?If it's corroded then you will have to replace the connector too.You said the fan still doesn't come on automatically by itself. How high does the temp gauge get and the fan still isn't on?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/coolant-temperature-sensor-cts-replacement

Please let us know what happens.
+2
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 2:38 PM
SHANNON_PRIV
Thank you for this post I had a relay go out got a new one for $19.00 all fixed :)
Saturday, January 12th, 2019 AT 12:22 PM
TRAE SHYTLE
  • 1997 SATURN SL2
My car over heats only when sitting still. While moving its fine. I cannot hear the fan engage. Wondered if there was something wrong other than having to replace the fan?
Saturday, January 12th, 2019 AT 12:25 PM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6
First inspect your cooling fan relay(s). Does your fan turn on when you switch A/C on?
BAKKEBA
  • 1994 SATURN SL2
Car overheats while idling or in traffic. Radiator fan does not kick on, even when A/C is engaged.

I've replaced the Thermostat, the Eng. Coolant Temp. Sensor, radiator cap and radiator fan motor.

I've checked relays and fuses. All seem fine.

Wiring harness problem? Thought I'd try you guys before I took it to a shop.

Thanks.
BLUELIGHTNIN6
If motor is good, fuse is good and A/C doesn't cause fans to engage then there must be problem in the wiring not letting the fan motor get power.
RCCLIMBHIGHER
  • 1996 SATURN SL2
Fan quit working after a bad bump in road. Replaced the fuse. Now what?
Check the coolant temperature sensor and if it has an engine temperature gauge switch check that too to include the fan motor to the fan relay.
Saturday, January 12th, 2019 AT 12:26 PM (Merged)
MCONDIT86
  • 1998 SATURN SL2
My car starts fine after it has been sitting for a long time even in cold weather, but idles a little higher than it used to. When I start it and drive a short distance then turn it off, its difficult to get it to start and idle again. I have to hold my foot on the gas to keep it running. Eventually it will idle but fluctuates between 1100 and 1300 RPMs. It used to idle around 900. I also have an issue with the cooling fan not turning on (fan motor ok, relay ok). I don't know if the two problems are related or not. SOMEONE HELP PLEASE !
1998 Saturn SL2 Idle

Clean and test the idle air control valve and check for a vacuum leak.
TDFREASIER
  • 1994 SATURN SL2
The engine fan on my saturn does not come on when the car gets hot. I have checked all the fuses and the relay. I checked the fan and I replaced the coolant temp sensor. I also check the voltage at the harness and it was 5.02. I am stumped I don't know what else to try. The fan does come on when the a/c is on. Can anyone help?
SATURNTECH9
U should atleast have 12 volts at ur fan motor. Which sensor did u change the one with two wires or the one with one wire going to it?Let me know.
TDFREASIER
The one with 2 wires going to it
SATURNTECH9
So how high does ur temp gauge go?The fan doesn't come on till 3/4 or sometimes the tip of the red on the older models like urs when gauges get older.U could even have a bad gauge or gauge sensor. Do u have a temp gun there cheap now and can use them for alot of differnt things.
TDFREASIER
I changed out the sender sensor and let the car get up to about 3/4 and the fan came on. Thanks for all the help.
HOLLY1058
  • 1996 SATURN SL2
I installed a new fan motor and it still does not come on
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Check the fuse and cooling fan relay(s). If OK check the engine coolant temp. Sensor.
DMCCURRY
  • 1995 SATURN SL2
Cooling fan is bypassed and when unhooked won't come on