DROVE TO WORK JUST FINE. CAME OUT AT LUNCH, CRANKS BUT NO START.

• snosaint
  • 1997 Lincoln Continental

I just had this happen with my expedition & it was the fuel pump, so of course this is my suspicion for this vehicle. Tank is 3/4 full.
What/how can I test for power to fuel pump. And spark?
What else can I check/do before I call to have it hauled off.
Luckily, when my truck it died it was at my brother in laws shop. Not so lucky this time(and all of 2 weeks aprt).
I have tried hitting the tank with a jack handle a few times to see if the fuel pump would kick on(assuming it was that) but that didnt work.
Where in the tank is the pump-so I get a closer shot.

Saturday, November 19th, 2011 AT 11:27 PM

• rasmataz

Do you have a check engine light?

Test for a good blue spark and proper fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

Saturday, November 19th, 2011 AT 11:32 PM
  • snosaint

New fuel filter a few thousand miles ago. Has been running great with no service light/no codes. I do not hear the fuel pump.
It here a fuel bleed valve under the hood to check for pressure?
The book does not show a fuel pump fuse or relay. Possibly PCM diode?/Relay?/Fuse? I know how to check the fuse. How do I check diode? I am hoping there are other relays I can sub to see if that cures it after I press the fuel pump reset button in the trunk.

Sunday, November 20th, 2011 AT 12:03 AM
  • rasmataz

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/testing-a-fuel-pump-and-pressure-regulator-video

Sunday, November 20th, 2011 AT 12:07 AM
  • snosaint

I'll check for pressure tomorrow.
Try & check for spark and power to the pump as well.
Thanks.

Sunday, November 20th, 2011 AT 1:55 AM
  • snosaint

I have seen a lot of complaints about the crank position sensor causing no start issue. Where is it on my conti?

Sunday, November 20th, 2011 AT 2:13 AM
  • rasmataz

The CPS On lower right side of engine. See item no.59

Sunday, November 20th, 2011 AT 7:33 PM
  • snosaint

Car did not start on multiple attempts on friday afternoon. Sunday morning I had a chance to go back with tools and info. Very first thing was to put jumper cables on it to boost up the cranked down battery. Then I popped the trunk and checked the fuel shut off-not popped & shut off the sir ride so I could hear the pump-maybe. I then checked fuse 11 inside the car and the fuses, diode & relay under hood-swaping them for identical matches in the fusebox. Then I pushed on the bleeded on the fuel rail, it spit and ran a little. Then I popped tha gas cap & asked my wife to listen for fuel pump when I turned key on-she didnt & neither did i, but then I went one farther and the car started and then ran fine for 20 miles to my brother in laws shop. I am considering doing the fuel pump and the crank pos sensor. Any other ideas?

Monday, November 21st, 2011 AT 9:05 PM