1997 Isuzu Rodeo Engine belts

JSTOTT3
  • 1997 ISUZU RODEO
After putting in some oil, I forgot to place the cap back. It fell into the fan, and broke the cooling fan blades. I didn't notice anything until the battery light on my dash flashed. After I pulled over, I looked under the hood and realized the damage. The broken fan, isn't the problem (or maybe it is?) But the belt going from fan, to crank, to alternator fell off. I put the belt back on, but noticed that the alternator belt was rubbing on the belt going to the a/c compressor. I can't figure out how to adjust the belt to get them from touching.
Saturday, June 21st, 2014 AT 4:55 PM

Hi:
First, check to make sure the belt is properly routed and make sure the tensioner is working properly. This vehicle has an automatic tensioner and can't be manually adjusted.

Go to this site. It starts with engine timing belt diagrams and at the bottom refers to serp belts.

http://www.2carpros.com/diagrams/isuzu/rodeo/1997
Saturday, June 21st, 2014 AT 7:43 PM
JSTOTT3
This is the Belt Diagram, The it tightens the belt from the adjuster/lock at the bottom of the alternator. I tightened that up, which is when I noticed that the belts were hitting each other. Even with the belt off of the alternator, I can;t find a way to align the belt between the fan pully and the crank below it.
Saturday, June 21st, 2014 AT 10:27 PM
Something has to be out of alignment. Have you checked for any excessive play in the belt driven accessories that could allow the belt to move?
Sunday, June 22nd, 2014 AT 8:31 PM
JSTOTT3
Okay, so I figured it out. The fan pulley bolts to a mount. The mount is made up of a plate and a shaft with bearings so that it can spin. When the fan broke, it wobbled the plate that the pulley bolts to, up the shaft. I tried to press the plate back, but it wouldn't move, so I had to get a new pulley mount.
Tuesday, June 24th, 2014 AT 3:54 PM
Glad you found the problem. Honestly, I never would have expected that to bend. It's a rigid piece of steel.
Tuesday, June 24th, 2014 AT 7:20 PM