1997 Holden Commodore Engine Cutting out

XEVOLIFE
  • 1997 HOLDEN COMMODORE
  • RWD
I start the car, but the engine dies right away. The only way to keep it alive (but still can't move it) is by revving it up but I have to push the pedal back and forward just to keep it alive that way, if I hold the pedal it will just die on me again. A couple weeks ago when I started it, it started okay ( it was going down and the back up with a quick rev) but once it stopped after about 2 - 3mins it was running fine. But now it won't even start up longer then 2seconds.
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2015 AT 10:49 PM

I'm not familiar with your car brand or model but I see you've been waiting a long time for a reply. What you described was very common on Chrysler products in the late '80s and early '90s. It was caused by a failed MAP sensor. Chrysler is the only manufacturer I'm aware of that has never needed a mass air flow sensor. On their engines, the MAP sensor had the biggest say in how much fuel was commanded to enter the engine. When it had just started to fail but wasn't bad enough to set a diagnostic fault code, the clue was the engine would stay running as long as the accelerator pedal was moving. The engine would stall as soon as the accelerator was held steady. Normally the throttle position sensor has very little say in fuel metering calculations, but in this case it became more important to the computer.

On your car, also look at that mass air flow sensor. It's in the fresh air tube between the air filter and the throttle body. There can't be any leaks or loose clamps on that hose. All air going into the engine has to go through that sensor to be measured so the right amount of fuel will be calculated.
Wednesday, March 4th, 2015 AT 2:30 PM
XEVOLIFE
Hey,
Thanks for the reply, I haven't checked the error code yet but hopefully will soon. There is a pipe that I think is the air flow filer and it has a big spilt in it I know it needs replacing, but didn't think it would cause the car not to start.
Holding the pedal steady will kill the car as well I have to push the pedal as if I'm cranking for water in the old days up and down up and down or it will die even if I do that tho it still dies out.
Wednesday, March 4th, 2015 AT 3:38 PM