FUEL PUMP

1997 Ford Contour

Dewhitte5849

March, 27, 2011 AT 1:58 AM

Hi I have a 97 ford contour with a 2.0 in it. It will turn over but will not start. When I push the valve by the fuel rail no fuel comes out, so I put a new fuel pump in it. I also can't hear the pump running. But I checked for voltage and it looked like there was voltage at the pump, however I didn't have a wiring diagram. When I put a little gas in the intake it will fire up but only for a second or two. Any ideas?

March, 27, 2011 AT 2:05 AM

Check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure tester if its within specs-How's the fuel filter/intank pick-sock strainer

Dewhitte5849

March, 27, 2011 AT 3:53 AM

Ok, I don't have a fuel pressure tester, but I took the fuel line off at the fuel filter and turned the key on and no fuel came out. The strainer is brand new with the pump I put in. It's like the pump isn't getting power but I was getting a reading with the volt meter at the pump connector.

March, 27, 2011 AT 4:32 AM

Power the fuel pump from the battery and let me know what happened

Dewhitte5849

March, 27, 2011 AT 4:00 PM

Will do, you wouldn't have a wiring diagram for the fuel system in this car would you? Or can you tell me which pins on the fue pump are power and ground

Dewhitte5849

March, 27, 2011 AT 4:53 PM

Ok I jumped the fuel pump and it pumped up just fine.

March, 27, 2011 AT 10:14 PM

Check and test the fuel pump fuse, fuel pump relay and inertia fuel cut off switch

Dewhitte5849

March, 27, 2011 AT 10:18 PM

The inertia switch has no power with the key on, and I don't know which relay is the fuel pump relay. I was able to narrow it down a little bit by jumping the relays to see what they did but other than that I don't know which one is for the fuel pump. And I dont know where the fuel pump fuse is either. Do fuel pumps when working properly, at the fuel pump get 12.6 volts like the rest of the car?

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang