1997 Chevrolet Silverado crankshaft sensor

COREYLEO
  • 1997 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I took the crankshaft sensor out and if I hold the bracket the sensor moves in the bracket should it move of should it be stationary
Sunday, July 6th, 2014 AT 12:51 PM

It should not move. If it does, it will mess up engine timing along with other things.
Sunday, July 6th, 2014 AT 2:48 PM
COREYLEO
Thanks for the answer I have replaced everything ignition wise but the camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor can one or both of these cause no start if so witch one is more likely
Monday, July 7th, 2014 AT 12:56 AM
The crank sensor is most common. However, check to make sure there is no spark to the plugs before you replace it. If there is spark, that isn't the issue unless it is a very weak spark. The cam sensor actually times the injectors with the ignition. The crank sensor, on the other hand, is responsible for engine timing.
Monday, July 7th, 2014 AT 7:46 PM
COREYLEO
Thank you so much this has been a big headache to me. There is no spark
Tuesday, July 8th, 2014 AT 12:52 AM
I hope I helped. Let me know how things go for you.

Tuesday, July 8th, 2014 AT 6:36 PM
COREYLEO
Put the new crankshaft sensor and still no spark I'm lost.
Friday, July 11th, 2014 AT 7:10 PM
COREYLEO
The connecter to the ignition coil is very hot when trying to start
Friday, July 11th, 2014 AT 7:39 PM
That connector shouldn't get hot. Disconnect it and make sure nothing is shorting inside it. Make sure to check both sides of the plug.
Saturday, July 12th, 2014 AT 6:27 PM
COREYLEO
I'm so lost when I hold up the wires bunched up it start but as soon as we let go of the wires it dies is it possible to change the wiring harness
Saturday, July 12th, 2014 AT 8:06 PM
Yes, the wiring harness can be replaced, but it's not a quick job. Since the connector is getting hot, there has to be something shorting in the connector itself. Check to see if any of the pins are bent, pushed out of position. Also, make sure they are all clean so they make a good connection. If they all look good, take the covering off the wiring harness to it and look for bare wires or damaged wires. NOTE: I have had many experiences where the wires look good but are damaged or broken inside. Once you get the covering off the wiring, do a visual inspection. If everything looks good, then move one wire at a time until it starts for you. That way you can identify which wire/s are the issue.

Take your time. You'll get it.

Let me know what you find.

Sunday, July 13th, 2014 AT 7:54 PM
COREYLEO
I have done that it it is the wire that runs from the ignition coil to the ignition control module it has almost been pulled plum out of the harness its a white wire when I hold it up it runs and as soon as I let go it dies can you replace that ignition coil and ingntion control module connecters
Sunday, July 13th, 2014 AT 8:26 PM
The connector itself may be hard to find. Are you able to make repairs to the one you have?
Sunday, July 13th, 2014 AT 9:35 PM
COREYLEO
No I am not. My local auto zone has the connecter well they can order it for me. It is really expensive tho so I looked around at a couple of junk yards and found a few
Tuesday, July 15th, 2014 AT 3:16 AM
Any luck?
Tuesday, July 15th, 2014 AT 10:03 PM
COREYLEO
It starts but I have went thru 3 ignition coils. It smokes and melts I have no clue what's going on with it. Guess I'm gonna have to give up and take it to a local shop and see what they can do. Any suggestions I should do first and thanks for everything
Thursday, July 17th, 2014 AT 3:02 AM
You mean the coil melts? Are you certain the wiring was reattached correctly? Something is supplying too much power.
Thursday, July 17th, 2014 AT 7:02 PM
COREYLEO
Yes the bottom of the coil melts. I took it to a local shop yo have the connector to replaced and plus it also did it once before the connector was replaced it has went thru 3 coils since I owned it about 3 months.
Saturday, July 19th, 2014 AT 2:10 AM
COREYLEO
I was reading something about the altinator could be going bad and sending to much power but I'm just a back yard mechanic I can change the oil plugs brakes and stuff but don't know much more than that
Saturday, July 19th, 2014 AT 2:13 AM
Yes, the alt can put out too much power. If you have a volt meter, check to see the difference in battery voltage between when it's not running and started. It shouldn't go much above 14v when running.
Saturday, July 19th, 2014 AT 6:09 PM
COREYLEO
I finally broke down and have sent it to a shop. In addition to the ignition coil melting its still was throwing the code P1345 I have had the can and crank shaft sensors replace and it went a way for a few minutes but it popped buck up with in 3 minutes of running I have done all I can so at the house and sent it to shop. Thank you for everything and as soon as I hear from the shop I will let you know what they found. Again thank you so much for all the help
Sunday, July 20th, 2014 AT 1:51 AM