Diagnostic code P1300

REZA092
  • 1996 TOYOTA CAMRY

LE 4 cyl 2.2L Automatic 120000 miles

Car was running good 5 days ago. Then fail to start one morning. It cranks but doesn't start engine. Called a mobile mechanic, he asked to change the battery. Changed the battery with brand new one. Then took start and stopped! After diagnostic he showed me a code P1300 and said ignition problem. First he said, the wire connecting the igniter/ignition coil is bad. Then changed the whole ignition wire set with NGK wire set. It did not start. Then changed the distributor cap. Did not start. He checked the ignition coil and igniter. It sparks once engine is switched on with key but does not continue. He suggested that the CAM sensor may be gone but can't say surely. Please suggest me how can I repair.
Thanks,
Karim

Saturday, May 18th, 2013 AT 11:26 AM

KHLOW2008

The code indicates either an open/short circuit between igniter and ECM, a faulty igniter or ECM.

-1
Saturday, May 18th, 2013 AT 1:54 PM
REZA092

Thanks for reply. How can I check those and ways to repair? Please give me some light of hope.

Saturday, May 18th, 2013 AT 2:05 PM
KHLOW2008

Diagnosis & Repair

1. Check for spark at misfiring cylinder. If spark is present, go to next step. If spark is not present, go to step 4.

2. Check for open or short in IGF circuit between ECM and igniter. Igniter is located near left shock tower. Repair as necessary. If circuit is okay, go to next step.

3. Disconnect Black 5-pin igniter connector. Access ECM behind glove box. Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between ground and terminal No. 3 White/Red wire) at ECM "E11" connector. See Fig. 3. If voltage is 4.5-5.5 volts, replace igniter. If voltage is not 4.5-5.5 volts, replace ECM and retest.

4. Check for open or short in IGT circuit (White wire) between ECM and igniter. Repair as necessary. If circuit is okay, go to next step.

5. Access ECM behind glove box. Locate ECM "E11" connector. Backprobing ECM connector, measure voltage between ground and terminal No. 20 (White wire) at ECM "E11" connector while cranking engine. If voltage is.1-4.5 volts, go to next step. If voltage is not.1-4.5 volts, replace ECM and retest.

6. Disconnect Black 5-pin igniter connector. Backprobing ECM connector, measure voltage between ground and terminal No. 20 (White wire) at ECM "E11" connector while cranking engine. If voltage is.1-4.5 volts, go to next step. If voltage is not.1-4.5 volts, replace ECM and retest.

7. Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between ground and terminal No. 3 (White/Red wire) at igniter wiring harness connector. If voltage is 9-14 volts, go to next step. If voltage is not 9-14 volts, check and repair igniter power source circuit.

8. Check for an open or short in wiring harness between ignition switch and
ignition coil, and between ignition coil and igniter. Repair as necessary. If wiring
is okay, go to next step.

9. Check ignition coil. Replace coil as necessary. If coil is okay, replace igniter.

+1
Saturday, May 18th, 2013 AT 2:19 PM
REZA092

I appreciate. Thanks a lot! I'll check according to the process and let you know.
Thanks.

-1
Saturday, May 18th, 2013 AT 3:05 PM
KHLOW2008

You're welcome.

Sunday, May 19th, 2013 AT 12:38 AM
22JJW22

Did you ever get your problem fixed? We are having the same problem and can't seem to get it fixed! Thanks!

+1
Saturday, January 24th, 2015 AT 4:43 PM
REZA092

Except the wiring harness checked everything in my car. Did not work! It was taking too much money and time that was not worthy. So finally just towed it for junk ! Sorry.

Saturday, January 24th, 2015 AT 6:23 PM
KHLOW2008

Check to see if the timing belt is broken.

Sunday, February 22nd, 2015 AT 2:11 AM
CRISTALBOONE
  • 1996 TOYOTA CAMRY

I changed ignitor and ecm. Ran ok for two months now have another P1300 code and is stalling. Any suggestions? Is this a common problem?

Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 AT 1:19 PM (Merged)

This isn't a common issue that I have seen. However, the most common causes for this code are:

Ignition Coil No. 1 harness is open or shorted
Ignition Coil No. 1 circuit poor electrical connection
Faulty Ignition Coil No. 1

Make sure wiring is clean and tight making a good connection. Make sure nothing is disconnected.

PMASSA
  • 1996 TOYOTA CAMRY

Hi 2carpros,
I wanted you to know that your article with the heading
"1996 Toyota Camry no spark, code P1300"
has helped me start my car.
I do not think I could have done it without this article.
It was the computer that turned out to be bad, yet another article said its rarely the computer.
Thank God for the article.
I am very grateful.
Sincerely,
Philip Massa

STEVE W.

You are very welcome.

Thank you for using 2CarPros. Com.

Please tell others who have auto related questions, we are here to help.

KOSOHOVSKI

Hello 2carpros, I need your help, i'm repairing a Camry 1996, engine 1mz-fe v6. The trouble code is p-1300. The car start the engine good for about 3 sec and then it turns off. I already did some tests:
The six coil are good
The fuel pump is working ok
ECM is good
Main relay is ok
I have managed to keep the engine running with a spray on the throttle body and I found the trouble: The ground pulse of the injector connector is lost after 3 seconds
I don't know what pin to check in the ECM or what other solution can you give me?

Thanks so much for your help

Ivan Kosohovski

Sunday, August 20th, 2017 AT 4:25 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Yep you have a wiring issue it sounds like. Here is a guide and some engine wiring diagrams (below).

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers, Ken

Monday, August 21st, 2017 AT 5:02 PM