Fuel pump not getting power relay?

RICHARDGRIFFIN01
  • 1996 FORD ESCORT
I have a 1996 ford escort, that recently broke down on me. I was driving and the positive terminal fell off my battery causing it to shake and sputter then stall and not restart. I discovered it was not getting any fuel to it when I spray starting fluid in it it starts. So here's what all I have done since. I replaced the fuel pump but it doesn't seem to be getting power to it because it still wont start. I wired the old one to my battery directly and the old pump came on, so I am guessing that something is disrupting the power to my pump, so I was wondering if I could just wire my new pump to a switch and turn it on and off manually when ever I drove it? Or what else could be causing it to not get power, I checked the fuses and the fuel reset and everything seems okay, I tested the relays under the driverside dash and they seem ok, I am confused and what else to do?
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 6:49 PM

WRENCHTECH
Did you check the Inertia switch in the trunk?
Are you using a fuel pressure gauge?
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 7:05 PM
FIXITMR
When that terminal disconnected your system was likely subjected to over-voltage. This is hard on electronic parts. Coulda blew somethin.
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 7:11 PM
FIXITMR
Possible Causes:

Inertia fuel shutoff (IFS) switch needs to be reset
Open FPDM ground circuit
Open circuit to FPDM PWR RLY
Open FPDM PWR circuit
Open or shorted FPM circuit (engine should start)
Damaged IFS switch
Damaged FPDM PWR RLY
Damaged FPDM
Damaged PCM
Also for Mustang:
Open B+ circuit to the constant control relay module (CCRM) pin 11
Open ground to CCRM pin 18
Damaged CCRM
-1
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 7:47 PM
RICHARDGRIFFIN01
I have checked the fuel reset switch and it is in the down position, I have not used a fuel pressure gauge because I am not getting any fuel, because I am not getting power to the pump. What would be causing me to not get power, and can I just run a new wire with a toggle switch in line from the pump directlly o the battery?
+1
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 8:18 PM
FIXITMR
If you can locate the fuel pump relay check it for ground with key on/crank. If no ground then you could run a permanent/switchable ground. This in more in keeping the system as designed.
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 10:57 PM
JERZ3455
Hi.

Just recently (two days ago) I experienced the same issue. Started my vehicle. Made it out the driveway and it cut off. Same scenario as Richardgriffin01.
Replaced pump. Old pump was still functional, turns out no power to fuel pump.
Checked IFS. Reset it and reset it again. All fuses are intact. Looked aimlessly for the location of the actual fuel pump relay. On this specific model, it's 'supposed' to be located in the center console underneath the ashtray, but I honestly don't see it.
Can anyone possibly direct me there? Where is it exactly?

Wednesday, April 6th, 2011 AT 2:23 PM
KEN
Hey Guys,

I found thi diagram showing where the fuel pump relay is located.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken
Wednesday, December 14th, 2016 AT 11:09 AM