FUEL PUMP NOT POWERING UP

1999 Ford Escort

SteveR22

May, 26, 2012 AT 6:43 PM

Had a small fire under the hood. I believe we have replaced all the damaged components, but here is my problem.

When I turn the key to the ON position, I don't hear the fuel pump power up. I have checked all fuses and relays and also the inertia switch. Everything is good there. I had to replace the fuel rail, injectors and the fuel rail wiring harness. Checked the connected on the fender wall where the harness plugs in and it appears not to be damaged.

What other components can I check for damage? Wiring harness along the firewall? What can I do to troubleshoot this. I am familiar with testing with a DVM.

May, 26, 2012 AT 7:31 PM

Check/Test the fuel pump driver module on left rear of quarter panel-

SteveR22

May, 26, 2012 AT 8:04 PM

I don't believe that this is the problem. I have checked it physically and don't see any visable damage. I don't have any info on testing this module. I believe that the fuel pump relay is not energizing and I can't pinpoint why. I know that the relay is energized by the PCM power relay. What tells the PCM power relay to energize?

May, 27, 2012 AT 3:49 PM

Go to the ineria switch and see if you have power for 2 seconds when the key is turned on.

You also need to test the driver as previously stated for power as well. Looking at it is not a test. Powers need to be verified. I would start there before proceeding to the relay and controls. The relay is not a common failure as the driver, and pump are common.

May, 27, 2012 AT 9:14 PM

The power goes thru the driver module if it doesn't make it out of there the fuel pump will not come on-period

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test