IDLE AIR CONTROL

1996 Dodge Ram

Karl Moulden

March, 9, 2011 AT 12:17 AM

Hi,
Got a 1996 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9 litre Magnum V8. Check engine light on, codes were engine misfire in 6 of the eight cylinders and idle air control. The truck is running fine, slight miss. I am putting new plugs, wires, cap and button. Should fix the misfire code. But there is no idle problems. Truck starts easy, runs with no surges. You think after I tune it up tonight, the idle air control code will still come up after I reset the ecm? I guess it's a dumb question but anyway.

March, 9, 2011 AT 12:23 AM

Engine running rough or misfiring can be cause by the following:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-misfires-or-runs-rough

1.Defective spark plugs
2.Inadequate spark/coil,defective spark plug wire.
3.Lack of compression
4.False air leakage.
5.Faulty fuel injectors.
6.Insufficient fuel pressure.
7.Contaminated fuel.
8.EGR valve that is leaking.
9.Oxygen sensors.
10.Throttle position sensor.
11.Manifold absolute pressure sensor
12.Mass Airflow Sensor
13.Idle air control valve

Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it-

Karl Moulden

March, 9, 2011 AT 5:44 AM

Thanks for the reply. Just got finished with the tune up//no check engine light. Oh my god, changing that cap and button and plug wires was a terrible chore. Plugs were rusty, and there was not much left of them. The truck did do something weird though. When I tried to start it after all was said and done and resetting the system, it wouldn't turn over. I turned the key and it clicked. Finally after turning the key a few times it fired right up. Idle fluctuated a bit, but after about 20-30 seconds it was purring like a kitten. Drove it and it is smooth, with lots more power. After test driving it, I shut it off and it started right up. Gave it a few minutes started right up again. I don't know what the glitch was but all seems well. Thanks again for the info.

Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L