ANY THOUGHTS AS TO SOURCE OF PROBLEM? COULD IT BE A TRANSMISSION SLIP OR PERHAPS A FUEL FILTER PROBLEM??

1996 Dodge Caravan

navman54

May, 31, 2012 AT 4:43 PM

1996 Dodge Grand Caravan, appx 120K miles. After about three hours of cruising along ( with a few intermediate stops/starts) at 2000 RPM@ 65 MPH on cruise control, the engine appeared to begin "missing" (slightly jerky and hesitating). I noted the Tach had increased to 3000 RPM for no apparent reason. I momentarily shifted into 3rd gear from "D, " with no apparent effect in any of the systems. Then I begin to notice a decided deceleration, with the tach now dropping, and no response to an increased accelerator application. I began moving to the emergency lane, and after a short distance the car finally slowed and the engine stopped completely. I immediately tried a restart (2 - 3 times) with no results. After waiting a few minutes - while trying to call AARP towing - I then attempted another restart. After a couple of "almost starts" the engine finally caught and within 30 seconds everything appeared to be operating normally - as it was before the "missing" originally began. This all took place within a distance of about two miles and less than 5 minutes of time. One other thing (maybe my imagination, ) I thought I smelled a faint odor of hydraulic or transmission fluid during the original few minutes till engine finally stopped. After getting it restarted, I drove the car another 13 miles home, with no reoccurance of the problem. On a final note, the transmission fluid level appeared OK after returning home.

Docfixit

May, 31, 2012 AT 4:59 PM

Is check engine light coming on during all the trouble?

navman54

May, 31, 2012 AT 5:50 PM

Negative "check engine light" noted during any of this malfunction.

Docfixit

May, 31, 2012 AT 8:38 PM

Need to have engine and trans scanned for sensor input in parameters. If good then possible fuel delivery problem. Will be tricky without codes

navman54

May, 31, 2012 AT 9:09 PM

Docfixit: Thanks so much for your help. After a bit of searching I discovered a couple of relays that appeared to be burned, so will replace those and hope that that will take care of my problem. Computers probably have made your job much easier, but if they don't show any error codes I guess it's probably back to, "replace and hope" (at least it is for me). Thanks for the prompt response.

Docfixit

June, 4, 2012 AT 6:05 PM

What happened?