CRANKING A CAR... AFTER 6 YEARS

1996 Acura Integra

Almost Tokyo

May, 14, 2011 AT 2:17 PM

I have recently moved back to the States after living overseas for the last 10 years. I have a '96 Integra GS-R that has been parked (inside) and basically untouched for the last 6 years. What precautions should I take before starting the engine? My main concern is regarding the crank and cam bearings. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

fixitmr

May, 14, 2011 AT 4:30 PM

You could pull sparkplugs and crank engine over 30 seconds or so a few times to get oil up into engine bearings.

Almost Tokyo

May, 15, 2011 AT 9:43 PM

Should I pull the plugs so there is no compression or would disconnecting the coil have the same effect? Thanks.

fixitmr

May, 16, 2011 AT 8:30 PM

Pull plugs so starter does not overheat from compression resistance.

fixitmr

May, 16, 2011 AT 8:31 PM

Also increases oil pump spin speed so oil gets thru engine faster/more volume.

Almost Tokyo

May, 17, 2011 AT 4:13 AM

Okay, I understand. Thank you. Would it be a bad idea to put a few drops of oil into each cylinder? And what about the fuel and fuel line? I used 93 octane but still it is 6 years old. Does fuel go bad?

fixitmr

May, 17, 2011 AT 4:21 AM

Yes I would squirt like w-d40 product into cylinders. Because it is a lubricant that is a penetrent/dispersant and also is easily combustible. How much fuel is in it? I mean ideally you should drain tank and add new. But I have added new gas to old and it was fine.

Almost Tokyo

May, 17, 2011 AT 1:44 PM

Fuel level? Uncertain at this point. I bought a battery last week, still haven't installed it. Thanks for your help. Good ideas. I may have more questions as I try to revive my old car. Just curious, does the "donation" go directly to you or do you only get a percentage and the benefit of knowing you help people out?

fixitmr

May, 18, 2011 AT 2:07 AM

I think it's usually divided up unless someone specifically asks to have it all go to the specific helper. Thanks

Almost Tokyo

May, 25, 2011 AT 5:49 PM

Hello, again. When I connected a new battery, the parking lights flash on and off for about 15 seconds before stopping - not sure what that is. I turn the ignition and get no response (no clicking, no dimming of lights). I'm thinking the starter solenoid switch, but is there a reason for the lights flashing? Thanks.

fixitmr

May, 27, 2011 AT 12:00 AM

Oops, unexpected problems? You can check for 12v at solenoid from key switch.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars