1995 OLDSMOBILE AURORA OVERHEATING?

• ntrimble7
  • 1995 Oldsmobile Aurora

I have a 95 Oldsmobile Aurora and it started overheating, we changed the thermostat, the water pump, and the thermostat/water pump housing. Now all that is put back together and I have water leaking out of my reservoir cap. Any advice? Also I noticed right before the overheating started that my temperature gauge is not working. Could that have something to do with all of this and how can I fix it?

Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 AT 8:29 AM

• JDL

Can you check for coolant flow through the radiator? So the recovery bottle is boiling over? Does the radiator fan work? Could be combustion gases in your coolant caused by a faulty gasket or a crack somewhere.

Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 AT 9:01 AM
  • ntrimble7

How can I reset my ect sensor?

Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 AT 9:56 AM
  • ntrimble7

How would I go about checking for a crack or bad gasket? What would I look for

Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 AT 10:05 AM
  • JDL

You didn't answer any of my questions? There isn't any reset for that sensor. Usually with OBD1 if you unplug that sensor, the radiator fan runs all the time. I can't tell if your fully obd1 compliant? 95 is a cross-over year.

Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 AT 10:06 AM
  • JDL

It will help if you answer some of my other questions. I answer some of yours, you answer some of mine, that's how it works.

Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 AT 10:09 AM
  • ntrimble7

Very little coolant through radiator, yes it's boiling over, yes both fans work, I have no water in my oil and no white smoke. Is there any way I can truck that sensor into working so I'll know what my temperature of the car is actually reading.

Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 AT 10:11 AM
  • ntrimble7

I did answer your questions so sorry my other questions got to you before my answers. Now maybe we can get back in track thank you very much for your time and helping me try to fix my problems : -)

Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 AT 10:14 AM
  • JDL

Usually with a cross-flow radiator, on a cool engine, drain some of the coolant down till you can see the top coolant passages if possible. Remove thermostat, hook everything back up, the coolant flow is instant when you start the engine. If very little or no coolant flow in radiator, maybe a clogged engine block or radiator?

If you suspect the coolant sensor is faulty, replace it, I don't think it costs much. Give me a second on that sensor.

Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 AT 10:26 AM