I BENT SOME VALVES WHEN MY TIMING BELT SLIPPED

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse

Allen707

January, 4, 2012 AT 7:10 AM

I recently replaced my cylinder head because my timing belt slipped off bending the valves. I got everything back on started the car up and it immediately idles up to 5 goes down to 3000 rpm's and stays there. This is in neutral and 1st gear w/ the clutch depressed. Did not replace all the bolts back into the intake manifold or header manifold. About 2 in the intake an 3 on the exhaust header. Dnt really see how tht could affect the idle like that though

rivermikerat

January, 4, 2012 AT 7:13 AM

HUGE vacuum and compression leaks. They give you a certain number of bolts, a specific torque setting, and specific torque pattern.

Allen707

January, 4, 2012 AT 7:45 AM

I torqued the head down the rite way to 25lbs then to 50lbs and also in the correct sequence.

rivermikerat

January, 4, 2012 AT 8:06 AM

But you left bolts out. According to your original post. Missing bolts cause vacuum and exhaust leaks. These types of leaks cause extreme power loss and rough idling. Exhaust leaks can cause burned exhaust valves. Which means pulling the heads and at least replacing the valves, if not the whole head.

Allen707

January, 5, 2012 AT 1:55 AM

No I didnt put all the header bolts in and the intake manifold the, the head is bolted down to spec but the exhaust header an intake mani arent all bolted

rivermikerat

January, 5, 2012 AT 2:56 AM

Here, I copy/pasted what you just typed: "No I didnt put all the header bolts in and the intake manifold the, the head is bolted down to spec but the exhaust header an intake mani arent all bolted "
"intake mani arent all bolted" means you left bolts out.

Allen707

January, 5, 2012 AT 3:17 AM

Yea from the headers not the actual cylinder head. The Head of the entire engine has 8 bolts tht need to be torqued and I did those. Will 2 bolts from the headers make it idle/rev like that?

rivermikerat

January, 5, 2012 AT 5:26 AM

It could. But you also said you didn't install and torque all of the intake bolts.

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue