1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse details

CHUCHA01
  • 1998 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
Hello Experts,
I have a non-turbo, 2.0 additional info.
Sometimes when i'm at a red-light my car bounces. Like a hotrod would. It's pretty cool, but I know it's not right. Hehee. Sometimes it wants to jump, (like, into the car in front of me) and sometimes it seems like it's going to just stop (breakdown). I'm assuming it's the timing belt? I have a friend of a friend who can "change the belt" for $250. I have a friend who can do it for $500/600. He says I need the kit and will need to be adjusted. The $250 dude didnt' mention anything about a 'kit' or adjusting the belt. He ($250 guy) once changed some other belt and it snapped, so he put a new belt on. Then that squeaked everytime I turned the wheels. 6 months later I discovered that belt needed to be adjusted. Those belts he changed when he was installing a new water pump.
Second question: Since then, after driving 6-10+ miles with the air-conditioner on. My steering becomes rickety. Like a grinding noise around the front wheels. No squeaking. It sounds like my front axle is going to break. Now, I also do NOT have any boots on my Tie Rods. How important is it to have those on? And could that be the cause. I'm thinking air-conditioner compressor.
I love my car. And I'm proud of my car. And I plan on keeping it forever, even if I have to get an engine overhaul. Which I will someday eventually. When I win the lotto. I'm torn because the $500/600 guy will break me and of course the $250 guy will leave me some left-over money. But, i'm leaning to the $500/600 guy because I want the job to be done right.
Thank you for your time,
Susan Moreno. Picture attached
Saturday, September 11th, 2010 AT 10:28 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi Susan,

Thank you for the donation.

You must be a jovial and humourous person but I do not see any attached picture.

If the Check Engine Light is indicating, get a free scan done at Autozone and let me know the EXACT trouble code.

Your description of the problem is not clear so I am guessing the problem and you have to correct me if I am wrong.

Do you mean the engine is surging, ie. The rpm would go up and down while idling?

I do not think the problem is caused by the timing belt but if the timing belt had not been replaced before, the mileage of the vehicle indicates it is due for replacement.

Replacement of the timing belt is not a very difficult job but it requires a trained person. Any mistake on the job can be costly as failure of the timing belt can cause a lot of damage to the engine because it is an interference engine. Unless the guy knows what he is doing, if not, stay clear from him.

The rickety steering is most likely due to the drive belt improperly adjusted, it is slipping when the A/C is turned on. It could also be due to the A/C compressor, it is running rough either due to a bad compressor or its bearing.

The tie rod dust covers are to prevent external contminations to the ball joints and keep lubricants in. Any damage to the dust covers would cause the tie-rod ends to fail prematurely.
Wednesday, September 15th, 2010 AT 10:51 AM
CHUCHA01
Hi there,
Hmmm, I clicked 'upload'.I had a picture chosen. Don't understand why you didn't get it. Oh well.
Thank you for your response. I really appreciate all your input. It's very informative and correct.
I went to the more knowledgeable guy instead of the one who doesn't know much. In fact he's the reason i'm back in the shop. I purchased a timing belt, + kit, water pump and coil pack.($250) and left my car at my friends shop. They diagnosed it and it read.'Misfire'. At autozone it read.'Timing belt'
That's all I can say.
Thank you guys.I really depend on your answers. You all are really some.(As my daughter would say) "Smarticle Particles". Hahahaha

Susan Moreno
Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 6:17 AM
KHLOW2008
The timing belt would never show on a scanner. The misfiring could be due to bad spark plugs or related components. It could also be due to differences in or low engine compression.

Hope you do not have overheating or coolant losses issues.

After choosing the picture and clicking upload, you need to click "standard" and note if your post has some sort of "img" etc etc links.
Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 6:23 AM
CHUCHA01
Hi guys,

Ok. I had my timing belt changed along with the coil pack and water pump and thermostat, because after they fixed it (timingbelt), the car started running hot. (my husband put the previous thermostat in wrong) The thermostate change fixed that. Total cost to me was $575.00. The car is running great.
50 miles later, the car started doing it again. Runs great when i'm driving down the road, but as soon as I stop at a red light (still in Drive) the car shakes worse and I noticed the RPM jumped up a little then back down. I immediatley put it in Neutral and it stops shaking. The light changes.. put it back in Drive and go..runs fabulous..come to another red light. Same crap happens..i put it in neutral and so on. I make it home. God, i'm losing my mind. Please don't say I need a new engine.
Thank you in advance for your quick response.

Susan M

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/540274_Clean_Car_030_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/540274_Clean_Car_018_1.jpg

Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010 AT 7:08 AM
KHLOW2008
Unless you are still having overheating and coolant losses issues, otherwise it should not be a major problem requiring you to replace the engine.

Problem seems to be the idling speed and I would suggest getting the throttle body and Idle Solenoid Control (ISC, other commonly known as Idle Air Control ) valve cleaned and retest.
Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010 AT 9:31 AM