1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Starting problem

JTODUS
  • 1995 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
The vehicle is having trouble starting. There are lights on inside the car and it has a new battery. Every time the car is attempted to start the lights go out and it won't start up. There is no sound whatsoever. Is there a way to fix? Fiance is stuck in storm with same vehicle.
Sunday, January 5th, 2014 AT 5:25 AM

WRENCHTECH
The symptoms indicate insufficient battery supply so charging and testing the battery is the first step and once it's started, the charging system needs to be tested to confirm the battery is being recharged when the car is running.
Sunday, January 5th, 2014 AT 6:28 AM
OTHER THAN WHAT WAS ALREADY SUGGESTED--THINGS YOU HAVE LOOKED AT ONCE. PROBABLY AT A GLANCE?

. MAYBE WE NEED TO DIG A LITTLE DEEPER?

SOMETIMES IT'S JUST A MATTER OF GETTING IN THERE, AND GIVING IT SOME "TOUGH LOVE"

TRY THIS STUFF, BE VERY DETERMINED WITH THE CONNECTIONS!

YOU COULD HAVE OTHER PROBLEMS.

INSURE YOUR BATTERY IS GOOD. AND ONCE YOU GET IT RUNNING, YOUR ALTERNATOR IS CHARGING (CAN BE CHECKED FOR FREE AT MOST AUTO PARTS STORES)

USUALLY ITS SOMETHING EZ TO DO--IF YOU DO IT RIGHT

YOU COULD HAVE FAULTY RELAYS OR FUSES. BUT LET'S SAVE THE COMPLICATED CRAP FOR LAST! (IF ANY)

CHECK YOUR FUSES!---YOUR OWNERS MANUAL MAY SHOW YOU LOCATIONS THAT YOU KNEW NOTHING ABOUT!

REMOVE AND REPLACE "SUSPECT" FUSES SEVERAL TIMES--THIS MAY SCRAPE OFF CORROSION AND GIVE THEM BETTER CONTACT!

THIS WILL WORK FOR YOU, PROVIDED THAT YOUR BATTERY IS GOOD---OR YOU CAN BE JUMPED OFF. EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO BORROW YOUR NEIGHBOR "FRED'S" GOOD BATTERY OUTTA HIS TRUCK, FOR A TRIAL RUN

REMEMBER "NEW STUFF" CAN BE BAD TOO!

YOUR STARTER MAY BE BAD!

YOUR SOLENOID MAY BE BAD!

BATTERY COULD BE BAD!

OK---I THINK I'VE COVERED THE HARD STUFFSAVE IT FOR LAST!

MOST OF THE TIME, WHAT YOU READ BELOW IS USUALLY THE PROBLEM, . YOU CAN FIND IT. OR PAY SOMEONE THE BIG BUCKS TO FIND IT!

PEOPLE GET LAZY!----THEY DO NOT ACTUALLY DO THIS STUFF. JUST A QUICK GANDER FROM AFAR. AND NO HANDS ON

IT BITES 'EM IN THE BUTT. THEY COULDA BEEN RIDING LONG AGO!

****DISCONNECT THE BATTERY TO DO ALL OF THIS*******

********TAKE STUFF LOOSE (REALLY!--EVERY ONE OF 'EM!)*********

CLEAN AND "SCOOCH" THE CONNECTORS AROUND----TIGHTEN THE NUTS OR BOLTS WELL, WIRE BRUSH, KNIFE BLADE, WHATEVER IT TAKES TO CLEAN A CONNECTION! DO NOT JUST PASS OFF ANY BIG CABLE CONNECTION AS, "IT LOOKS GOOD".I MEAN "MAN HANDLE" EVERY CONNECTION EVERYWHERE!

. LET'S CONCENTRATE ON THE BATTERY POST'S/ CLAMPS/ CABLES!

PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THE BATTERY POSTS---CLAMPS---CABLE CONNECTIONS TO THE CLAMP (I'M TALKING ABOUT THE OLD STYLE "SQUEEZER" DEALEES, THAT HOLD THE CLAMP TO THE ACTUAL CABLE)

IF YOU CAN GRAB 'EM AND TWIST 'EM OR WIGGLE THE CABLES OUT OF THE CLAMPS----THE CLAMP IS NOT FAR ENOUGH DOWN ON THE POST OR THE CABLE IS NOT BEING SQUEEZED HARD ENOUGH!

IF YOU HAVE SIDE POST TERMINALS---IF THEY WILL MOVE JUST WITH YOUR HAND---THEY AIN'T TIGHT ENOUGH!---REMOVE THE BOLT THAT SCREWS INTO THE BATTERY FROM THE SIDE TERMINAL (IT WILL POP OUT OF THE RUBBER)--TURN THE RUBBER INSIDE OUT SCRUB THE FLAT CONNECTOR WITH A WIRE BRUSH OR SCRAPE IT WITH A KNIFE, TILL IT'S CLEAN---SAME FOR ITS MATING SURFACE ON THE BATTERY!

MANY TIMES THERE AIN'T MUCH SLACK IN THE CABLE----NO WHINING!---YOU GOTTA GET IT CLEAN, ESPECIALLY IF YOU CAN SEE "GREEN CRAP" CAKED ON 'EM!

YEAH, IT'S NOT EZ TO GET IN THERE, BUT LOOK AT WHAT YOU WILL GO THRU IF YOU DON'T!

THIS IS WAR--YOU GOTTA CHECK IT ALL--ANY CONNECTION---POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE THAT A BIG CABLE BOLTS TO. GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY!

IF A CABLE GOES TO A BOX--IT GOES ON THRU IT---CLEAN CONNECTIONS COMING AND GOING---TO WHERE EVER THEY GO!

EVENTUALLY YOU WILL REACH THE STARTER CONNECTION (POS)AND THE ENGINE/ BODY (NEG)

DON'T TELL THE SHOP, AS YOU GIVE 'EM YOUR $$$---WHILE WHINING---"I WAS TOLD TO CLEAN THAT CONNECTION, AND I DIDN'T!"

AS YOU PROGRESS, TRY TO CRANK HIM UP

---YOU MAY FIND EXACTLY WHICH CONNECTION WAS THE PROBLEM WITHOUT GOING ANY FURTHER!

I'VE SEEN THIS SAME CATASTROPHE, MANY MANY TIMES (I SAW IT NOT TOO LONG AGO), AS I WAS ABOUT TO "CAR DOLLY" A FRIEND'S TRUCK IN, THEN I DID THE CHECKS,

. IT WAS THE SIDE POSTS ON THE BATTERY CONNECTIONS). AND IT'S SO SIMPLE TO FIX. SAD THING, WHEN I GOT THERE, NOTHING HAD BEEN DONE 'CEPT AN ATTEMPTED JUMP START.I WAS GONNA HAVE TO PULL HIM 40 MILES, HE WASTED 3 HOURS OF MY TIME. LAZY, LAZY, LAZY

YOU COULD BE RUNNING BEFORE YOUR "CALVARY" ARRIVES!

RETURN WITH GOOD NEWS!

OR YOUR FINDINGS AND WE WILL CONTINUE---A VOLTMETER MIGHT AID YOU IN ATTACKING THE HARDER STUFF

Sunday, January 5th, 2014 AT 7:59 AM
ARE WE GETTING ANYWHERE?

Sunday, January 5th, 2014 AT 8:45 AM
WRENCHTECH
Or you could just resolve the dead battery/connection issue that was advised in the first place. You don't have any relay issues with your symptoms.
Sunday, January 5th, 2014 AT 9:21 AM
I JUST DIDN'T SEE MUCH DETAIL THERE FOR SOMEONE IN A STRESSFUL ENVIRONMENT. AND NOT AT THE SHOP WITH ALL THE GOODIES ON HAND

. SO I THREW MY NOVEL IN WITH SOME HOMEMADE PICS

IT REALLY DON'T MATTER TO ME WHETHER YOUR INFO HELPED 'EM OR MINE. THE MISSION HERE WAS TO HELP 'EM!

. AND THEY AIN'T RESPONDED BACK WITH GOOD NEWS.I'LL ADMIT, THAT MAKES ME LOOK BAD. MY 5 YEAR OLD GRANDSON FOLLOWS DIRECTIONS PRETTY WELL, COURSE HE CAN'T READ YET, AND THEY WERE ALL VERBAL

Sunday, January 5th, 2014 AT 10:56 AM
WRENCHTECH
Confusing him with a whole bunch of unnecessary stuff when he hasn't even looked at the basics just sends him spinning in circles. The answer was simple because the problem was simple.
Sunday, January 5th, 2014 AT 11:00 AM