PERIODICALLY THE CAR WOULD SHUT OFF WHILE ...

1995 Honda Civic

steveal01

January, 29, 2013 AT 5:22 AM

Periodically, the car would shut off while waiting at stop sign, but will start right up. This happened twice so I ended up doing a tune up (spark plugs, wires, rotor & cap, fuel & air filters). Now the car will not fire up at all. I checked for spark at the wires and nothing. So I changed the ignitor and still nothing. Replaced the entire distributor and still nothing. Yhen I replaced the main relay. So I finally gave up when the problem still the same. Flooded with fuel because I can smell it. Checked the fuel rail and fuel filter and there is fuel flowing. I cannot figure out why there is no spark. Any suggestions? I even put all the old parts back on and again nothing. Help before I tow it to the shop and spend money I almost don't have.

January, 29, 2013 AT 10:35 AM

Is the distributor turning? I suspect a possible timing belt

steveal01

Also just to clear things up further, before I installed all the new tune up parts, it did start just fine but after ideling within a minute, car just failed and never started back up.
As for the distributor, I suspected that but the rotor turns because I had to crank it to and position it to remove the rotor on this car because they are screwed down.

steveal01

Could it possibly be the MAP sensor? Since I doubt it was the crank position sensor (when replaced with new distributor). I don't think there is nothing left, other than the ECU itself.

steveal01

We'll took to the shop and they stated no power coming from the Distributor. What was cool was this shop allowed me to change the distributor at their shop since I could not afford the amount they would charge. After replacing with another rebuilt distributor, fired right up. Sounds like the rebuilt distributor from autozone was a dud. Shop will do a complete check up just to make sure everything is in line. I guess the lesson from this story is that sometimes a newly rebuilt item may not always be a good functioning part. Even a new or rebuilt item wil always get through with a defect. Test test test.

Ignition System Test Guide
Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet