1995 HONDA ACCORD SHIFT LOCK

• Lumpar2002
  • 1995 Honda Accord

When I turn my car on, start the engine and press on the break like normal, for some reason when I go to shift out of park the car won't allow me to. The button the shift lever doesn't press down all the way and unlock like normal. There is a key whole next to the shift lever labeled shift lock key. The only way I can move my car is if I turn the car off, press my key into that key hole, press the button on the shift lever and keep it pressed down as I remove the key and put it inside the ignition and start the car. From there I am free to shift to any gear under park. Once I switch to park I cannot change gears from there. I also notice that my windows will not open. Have you encountered a problem like this before? I feel maybe the car doesn't sense when I am breaking.

Tuesday, June 4th, 2013 AT 8:37 AM

• caradiodoc

Check if the brake lights work. If not, check for a blown fuse inside or under the hood. If the fuse is blown for the brake lights there won't be any voltage going to the shifter interlock either.

Tuesday, June 4th, 2013 AT 9:58 AM