1995 Honda Accord Shift lock

LUMPAR2002
  • 1995 HONDA ACCORD

When I turn my car on, start the engine and press on the break like normal, for some reason when I go to shift out of park the car won't allow me to. The button the shift lever doesn't press down all the way and unlock like normal. There is a key whole next to the shift lever labeled shift lock key. The only way I can move my car is if I turn the car off, press my key into that key hole, press the button on the shift lever and keep it pressed down as I remove the key and put it inside the ignition and start the car. From there I am free to shift to any gear under park. Once I switch to park I cannot change gears from there. I also notice that my windows will not open. Have you encountered a problem like this before? I feel maybe the car doesn't sense when I am breaking.

Tuesday, June 4th, 2013 AT 8:37 AM

Check if the brake lights work. If not, check for a blown fuse inside or under the hood. If the fuse is blown for the brake lights there won't be any voltage going to the shifter interlock either.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
-1
Tuesday, June 4th, 2013 AT 9:58 AM