95 STARTING ISSUES

1995 Chevrolet Lumina

dkleinjr

February, 22, 2011 AT 7:24 PM

I recently ran into a problem with a 95 chevy lumina sedan with a 3.1 When I turn the key it does not crank, just the selonoid clicks. Now my first thought was just the starter was bad, however I brought it upto the parts store and they tested it and the volts and amps are within good operating specs. The part dealer mentioned a starter switch below the steering coloumn but its 60$ and would be non refundable if I purchased it. Is there any way to diagnose this problem further before having to bring it into the shop? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jacobandnickolas

March, 12, 2011 AT 5:37 AM

If the only thing you hear is a click, make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight. Make sure the ground to the engine is tight and clean. Check battery cables too. Next, have a helper turn the key to the start position while you check for power to the smaller wire on the starter. If you get 12 volts, it sounds like a bad starter. Honestly, the fact that you hear the solenoid engage tells me the ignition switch is okay. I would remove the starter and have it bench tested at the parts store. It may have a good solenoid but the starter itself is bad. Thus, you hear a click.

Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang