SPUTTERS AND STALLS. IT WILL NOT START UP IMMEDIATELY

• VACAD05
  • 1994 Toyota Celica

Sputters and cuts off /stalls. It will not start up immediately but wait 10 minutes and it will restart. How to correct stalling?

My 1994 celica GT liftback is a 5 speed manual transmission. I have taken it to Toyota to correct the above problem 4 times over the last month. They changed out the distributor. The problem happened again and Toyota put in another distributor. The problem happened again. The computer codes are still indicating the distributor as the problem.

Toyota wanted to test the computer, but was not able to obtain one and told me there was nothing more they could do. They are not able to diagnose the problem to beyond thinking it may be the computer giving incorrect indications. The stalling /cut off problem is intermittent and occurs whether going at high speed (50 MPH) or slow in a parking lot. Any thoughts as to what the problem could be.

Monday, October 8th, 2012 AT 1:59 AM

• saturntech9

Are you loosing spark when its not starting?

Monday, October 8th, 2012 AT 2:13 AM
  • KHLow2008

What was the trouble code retrieved?

Monday, October 8th, 2012 AT 2:17 AM
  • VACAD05

The computer code is 31.

Monday, October 8th, 2012 AT 4:05 PM
  • VACAD05

I do not recall toyota telling me whether it lost spark. After stalling the ca when trying to start the car the car does not crank. Only the dash board lights come on. After sitting for about 10 minutes the car will start up but runs rough.

Monday, October 8th, 2012 AT 4:26 PM
  • saturntech9

So do you have a multi meter to do some testing?Have you had the battery tested and made sure the battery cables clean and tight?

Monday, October 8th, 2012 AT 4:51 PM
  • KHLow2008

Code 31 - MAP sensor signal. Is this code new or was there all along?
Was there any other codes previously?

When engine stalled, by does not crank, do you mean the starter does not even click or clicks but does not turn the engine?

Monday, October 8th, 2012 AT 4:54 PM
  • VACAD05

The battery was installed in Jan 2012. At that time the battery cables were cleaned. And they appear to still be on tight.

When the engine stalled the engine does not even click. Nothing happens just the dashboard lights come on. After sitting for 10 minutes or so the car starts up.

Monday, October 8th, 2012 AT 10:13 PM
  • KHLow2008

This is a fault with the starting circuit and not a problem with battery.

It could be a faulty ignition switch, which explains the stalling. Do you have a DVOM or test light to perform testings?

Monday, October 8th, 2012 AT 10:18 PM
  • saturntech9

I will let you finsh this one for me Khlow2008

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 AT 12:54 AM
  • VACAD05

No, I don't have any tools for testing. What would I be looking for if I borrowed one from someone?

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 AT 2:05 AM