1994 Toyota Camry electrical

RONSON
  • 1994 TOYOTA CAMRY
A friend jump started another car and it created a charging problem on his. After this his car died as a result of a low battery. He replaced the alternator and once again had the same problem. He returned the alternator and after testing they found the regulator no good and suggested a short somewhere. I have looked at it and checked the fuses in the kick panel and under the hood and all are good. My question is where to start to look for a short. Any ideas? Thanks for the help in advance !
Thursday, December 25th, 2014 AT 7:14 PM

I HAVE YET TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO COPY A "PRODEMAND" DIAGRAM AND POST IT

(ALWAYS SAVES AS WEBPAGE COMPLETE) I'LL SOON GET ANOTHER FELLER ON HERE TO SHOW ME HOW!

2 CHOICES FOR YOUR CAR 2.2L AND 3.0L, I GRABBED 2.2L AND A "DX"

IT MAY BE THAT ALL OF THE MODELS ARE THE SAME DIAGRAM, I DON'T KNOW, IF THIS AIN'T WORKIN', FILL ME IN WITH ALL CORRECT INFO OR THE VIN #

AS FAR AS POSSIBLE "GAPS" OR "OPENS" THAT MAY NORMALLY OCCUR IN A CIRCUIT (NOT A SHORT)

READING THE SIMPLE CHARGING DIAGRAM I FOUND ONLY THESE, IN THE CIRCUITS RELATED TO OR GOING TO THE ALTERNATOR

A) GAUGE FUSE 10A LEFT OF INST PANEL

B) ALT-S FUSE 7.5A LEFT SIDE OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT

C) IGN FUSE 7.5A LEFT OF INST PANEL

D) ALT FUSE 100A LEFT SIDE OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT

E) FUSIBLE LINK (SHOWN NEAR/ AFTER THE BATTERY BEFORE JUICE REACHES "D")

I'M BETTING ON THE FUSIBLE LINK!

RETURN WITH GOOD NEWS!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Thursday, December 25th, 2014 AT 7:48 PM
CATAFINA
And also go to this link that will help find a short circuit: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-dead-overnight

Step 8 - If no other electrical accessory is causing the battery to drain overnight, a manual draw check of the electrical system will need to be performed. What this means is, you will be checking the electrical draw from the battery with the key in the "off" position" and doors closed. First open the hood and disable the under hood illumination light, if equipped. Next, with the key in the "OFF" position and the doors closed (drivers side window down) wait 15 minutes, then disconnect the battery cable on the negative side. (15 minute wait allows the computers to go into "sleep mode" which shuts down all electrical systems). Attach a test light between the negative battery cable end, and the negative battery terminal. The test light should illuminate dimly or not at all. If the test light is "ON" brightly there is a strong electrical draw in the system. To locate this electrical draw start removing fuses one at a time. When the test light goes out the circuit in question has been located. You will need a car repair manual to identify all accessories in a particular circuit, repair as needed and re-check system.

Hey-Buddy I like your Nativity-Granada 83-Razzy
Thursday, December 25th, 2014 AT 10:06 PM
RONSON
Thanks for the rapid response. I guess what i'm trying to grasp, is will a bad fusible link cause the internal voltage regulator in the alternator to pop. This has happened twice and it is immediate.
Friday, December 26th, 2014 AT 10:03 AM
HEY RAZZY, DIDN'T RECOGNISE YOUR AVATAR

Ronson, SO LIKE SORTA EXPLAIN THIS IN A FLOWING ORDER

I'LL START YOU OUT

EVERYTHING WAS A-OK PRIOR TO THE "JUMPAGE"

THEN WE SOMEHOW MESSED UP THE "JUMPAGE" (SPARKING, WRONG POLE TO WRONG POLE)

THE VEHICLE RAN, UNTIL "MR. BATTERY" DIED, DUE TO NOT CHARGING (FOR EITHER LACK OF ALTERNATOR OR LACK OF THE ABILITY TO ROUTE ELECTRICITY BACK TO THE BATTERY OR BOTH)

WE ARE INSTALLING AN ALTERNATOR.-.-.-.-.-.-.-THEN JUMPING IT OFF TO RUN?

THIS IS MY GUESS, AT THIS POINT (RAZZY SURELY WILL GIVE HIS OPINION TOO!)

IF THE FUSIBLE LINK IS SHOT, NUTHIN' WILL GET BACK TO THE BATTERY TO CHARGE IT

BEAR WITH ME, GOOD OLE DAYS STORY

1960-70 SOMETHING, EITHER MY BATTERY IS DEAD OR MY ALTERNATOR/ GENERATOR AIN'T ALTERNATIN'

LETS JUMP IT OFF!

IT'S ALIVE!

SNATCH OFF A BATTERY CLAMP

IT'S STILL ALIVE!

MR. ALTERNATOR/ GENERATOR MUST BE JUST FINE!

I STILL LIVE IN THEM DAYS - EVERYDAY!

FAST FORWARD TO THE DAYS OF YOUR CAR DOES EVERYTHING FOR YOU (AND IS SO DANGED COMPLICATED)

1980s ON UP

SNATCH A BATTERY CABLE OFF? (NEVER!!!)

---OR LETS SAY THE FUSIBLE LINK "DID THAT FOR YOU" AS IT ATTEMPTED TO PROTECT

MR. REGULATOR, MRS. MOTHERBOARD(S), ALL OF YOUR COMPUTER/ ELECTRONIC CRAP

SO RIGHT NOW, MY GUESS AS TO WHATS HAPPENING IS

YOU ARE BYPASSING THE "BLOWN SAFETY FEATURE" WHEN YOU FIRE IT UP BY JUMPING, OR A FRESH CHARGED BATTERY

THE ALTERNATOR IS NOT GETTING JUICE BACK TO THE BATTERY SO IT'S PROBABLY SORTA SPIKING OUT WITH VOLTAGE SURGES (LIKE TAKING THE BATTERY CLAMP OFF NOW-A-DAYS) MR. REGULATOR CAN'T HANDLE IT, SO IT CROAKS!

FIX THE LINK

IF YOU ARE BUYING ALTERNATORS OVER AND OVER, THIS LINK MIGHT AID YOU IN SOME WAY. "A124", EVEN AFTER A YEAR, STILL WORKED FOR ME 3 DAYS AGO

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2001-dodge-neon-milage-just-want-put-fliuds-their-locations

Friday, December 26th, 2014 AT 7:12 PM
RONSON
Thanks for the valuable information will give it a try.
Saturday, December 27th, 2014 AT 1:08 PM
BE SURE TO RETURN HERE WITH GOOD NEWS!

WE LIKE HAPPY ENDINGS!

Saturday, December 27th, 2014 AT 1:15 PM