1994 Ford Ranger Clutch help!

CASHAFFER87
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
94 ford ranger, 5 speed manual, I am having issues, I bled the system comepletely, no air, I have no resistance in the clutch pedal, and when I look in through the peep hole of the tranny the TO does not move, I have researched for hours, give me an engine and I can fix it no problem, but the clutch system I am still new to, please help. 2.3 litre btw.
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2015 AT 6:03 PM

NOT KNOWING.'ZACKLY HOW YOU BLED IT MIGHT BE ONE FACTOR (SOME FOLKS HAVE CRAZY, NON-WORKING TECHNIQUES BLEEDING BRAKES AND CLUTCHES!)

THERE IS ALSO THE POSSIBILITY OF A BAD CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER, ALLOWING FLUID TO SLIP BY IT'S SEALS, I'VE SEEN LOTS OF THINGS BEING BAD, RIGHT OFF OF THE SHELF!

+1
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2015 AT 6:14 PM
CJELSWICK87
I have noticed a almost unoticable leak from the hose that hooks to the bottom of the clutch master cylinder resevoir, what are some telltale signs of a bad resevoir/master cylinder?
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2015 AT 9:34 PM
CJELSWICK87
To add I bled it the standard way with an assistant, "clutch pedal compression"
+1
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2015 AT 9:36 PM
I SNAGGED THIS OUT OF "PRODEMAND"

SEEN DENTIST TODAY - TOOTH PULLAGE - NOW THROBBING- WHEN HE PEERS INTO MY MOUTH, HE SEES: FULL RECLINING LEATHER SEATS W/ LUMBAR THINGEE, THE WIRE SPOKE RIM PACKAGE, CONVERTIBLE TOP, BIG ENGINE (HE KNOWS MY MOUTH WILL ALSO TAKE CARE OF THE FUEL BILL TOO!)

I DID NOT GET NOTIFIED FOR THIS AND ANOTHER POST I RECENTLY ANSWERED

LEMME KNOW IF THIS HELPS

-1
Thursday, June 4th, 2015 AT 7:11 PM
CJELSWICK87
I will try this first thing tomorrow, bought a new master cylinder today and installed it too, old one was bas, still no pressure in clutch pedal, however hopefully this procedure works after my gravity/bench bleed
Thursday, June 4th, 2015 AT 7:50 PM
CJELSWICK87
My last addition, I got clutch pressure! I took the snap ring off and pulled out the piston, I let the pocketed air out of the master cylinder, the only thing I am having an issue with now is that the push rod won't lock, I hear a click and it gets pulled back up, so if you have any advice on how to properly install a new push rod into a new cylinder this will finish it, I have had many weeks of troubleshooting, to find the TO bearing and master cylinder were bad, but first to go was the tranny, the input shaft busted lol, now I am on the last stretch
Friday, June 5th, 2015 AT 5:58 PM
THIS IS THE WAY I BLEED

WITH A CLUTCH MASTER, I WOULD MODIFY THE BRAKE TECHNIQUE BY HOLDING THE PEDAL DOWN, THEN OPENING THE BLEEDER ALLOWING IT TO SPURT AIR FOR A MOMENT, BUT QUICKLY CLOSING IT WHILE IT STILL HAD SOME PRESSURE BEHIND IT, REPEATING IT OVER AND OVER UNTIL ALL AIR WAS REMOVED.

SEE MY LINK

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2000-jeep-tj-changed-master-cylinder-on-wrangler-process-changing-mc-noticed

CAN YOU SEND A PIC OF THE PUSH ROD DILEMMA?

BELOW) '46 WILLYS BRAKES, LOOKS LIKE A PRETTY SIMPLE SETUP, ADJUSTMENTS ARE KINDA UNIQUE AND TEDIOUS AND UNLIKE ANYTHING NEWER

Friday, June 5th, 2015 AT 8:08 PM
CJELSWICK87
Well I can pop the push rod into the cylinder, however it will just pop back out when the pedal goes out, I have the truck running normally again, but it won't go into gear, I do have the TO bearing moving again, it pushes about 3/4 " which I am assuming is not enough to completely disengage the clutch pressure plate, so I tried to put it in reverse, grinding noise then stall

so close to being done! Hope to be done tonight I start side jobs again tomorrow and have a little one to feed! Sorry no pic of it, it is something that a pic will not explain, I even greased the push rod to try to get it to slide past the halfway point of what I refer to as the retainer.
Friday, June 5th, 2015 AT 8:46 PM
SO THE OTHER END IS NOT SPRING LOADED AND FOLLOWS THE PLUNGER (SPRING PRESSURE) AS THE PLUNGER RETRACTS?

A PIC OF THE PLUNGER'S END MIGHT AID ME, I HAVE NOT FOUND A PIC OF THE SET-UP YET, I'M STILL LOOKIN'

Friday, June 5th, 2015 AT 9:03 PM
CJELSWICK87
It has the interlock switch attacked being a 94 ranger, but it is indeed supposed to be spring-loaded, I disassembled the old master cylinder, I think it isn't making it past the halfway mark on the metal retanier that hold it, there is a spring behind the piston. I watched a video for installing it and they made it look easy, however, when I push down on the clutch pedal the first foot is slackish without pressure and then the rest is super resistant, real good pressure, sadly the length of available resistance is not enough to fully disengage the clutch
Friday, June 5th, 2015 AT 9:15 PM
YOU HAVE BLED IT "MY WAY"?

JUST SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE COMPRESSING AIR AT THE BEGINNING OF YOUR TRAVEL

Friday, June 5th, 2015 AT 9:37 PM
CJELSWICK87
Exactly, which I figured wasn't so much a bad thing except sometimes the rod pops out, but eventually that will be solved I am sure, my issue is, the rod is popping out, idk if I have to continue the process in order to get the rest of the desired distance for the clutch disengagement so I can switch gears smoothly again
Friday, June 5th, 2015 AT 9:40 PM
NUTHIN' LIKE OLD SCHOOL (AS I CONTINUE TO ENJOY!)

MANUAL TRANNY/ W/ MANUAL LINKAGE (HAVE NEVER LEAKED ANYTHING!)

MANUAL TRANSFER CASE

MANUAL LOCKING HUBS

NO 'PUTER, 'CEPT ON TOP OF MY SHOULDERS

BOF OF 'EM

38 YEARS OLD AND 69 YEARS OLD

THEY WILL LAST FOREVER!

I'M STILL LOOKING FOR THE ROD POPPING OUT SOLUTION

HAVE YOU ATTEMPTED THE BLEED "MY WAY"? (JUNE 5, IN THIS POST) MANY CASES GRAVITY BLEEDIN' JUST DON'T CUT IT

Saturday, June 6th, 2015 AT 9:21 AM
MEANT TO SAY "MANUAL CLUTCH LINKAGE" UP ABOVE

I JUST DON'T SEE HOW SOMETHING ELSE THAT COULD LEAK OUT, NEED CONSTANT MONITORING, BEING A PAIN IN THE BUT TO INSTALL, COULD BE BETTER THAN THE OLD WAY?

Saturday, June 6th, 2015 AT 9:33 AM
CJELSWICK87
I agree, with the angle of the master cylinder I popped off the snap ring and pulled the piston, no more air, like I said just cant get the stupid push rod to stay in
Saturday, June 6th, 2015 AT 10:00 AM
I HAVE ACCESS TO "PRODEMAND"

I'M NOT GOOD AT MANEUVERING THRU IT WELL, AS I SELDOM USE IT, I HAD JUST SORTA GOT A LITTLE USED TO "MITCHELL 1's " FORMAT, THEN THEY CHANGED OVER TO THIS VERSION

I SCREEN SHOT THE 1ST PIC, AND WAS ABLE TO GET THE DIAGRAM THAT WENT WITH IT, BY NORMAL "SAVE AS" MEANS

MAYBE IT MIGHT HELP? OR GIMME SOME KEY WORDS TO ATTEMPT ANOTHER SEARCH IN THERE

Saturday, June 6th, 2015 AT 2:03 PM
CJELSWICK87
Master cylinder was defectice, replaced it, tranny was dry, filled it, still not disengaging enough to let me switch gears with the vehicle running, I bench/gravity bled the new master.
Monday, June 8th, 2015 AT 9:41 PM
SO YOU HAVE NOT BLED IT WITH THE PEDAL DEPRESSED BY YOUR PAL? (AS I DESCRIBED IN DETAIL EARLIER)

MANY TIMES, WITH BRAKES ANYWAY, GRAVITY BLEEDING LETS THE FLUID DROP DOWN, BUT THE AIR BUBBLE RISES BACK UP AT THE SAME TIME. SORTA LIKE THE BUBBLE IN YOUR SHAMPOO BOTTLE. THE ONLY WAY TO EXPEL IT IS WITH SUDDEN FORCE.

KEEP ME POSTED

Tuesday, June 9th, 2015 AT 6:58 PM
CJELSWICK87
Sadly I have, beginning to think it is a defective slave, even though the throwout bearing is moving, its not move far enough to fully disengage the clutch, the old TO bearing/slave assembly worked just fine, before the last tranny and pilot bearing went I barely had pressure, so it looks like im swapping the new bearing assembly for the old one
Wednesday, June 10th, 2015 AT 9:00 AM
BEFORE YOU GO CRAZY AND DO THE SLAVE

WHY DON'T YOU FIND ONE OF THOSE LOCAL, MA AND POP TYPE AUTOMOTIVE SHOPS

ONE THAT WILL TAKE A FEW MINUTES TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT THE SITUATION (FOR FREE)

THIS WILL GET YOU ANOTHER OPINION ON MAYBE HOW TO GET 'ER DONE.

YOU'LL REALLY BE FIT TO TIED, IF YOU GO THRU CHANGING THE SLAVE AND YOU WIND UP WITH THE SAME RESULTS AS YOU HAVE NOW.

KEEP US POSTED, IF THERE'S SOME TRICK, I WANNA KNOW TOO!

Wednesday, June 10th, 2015 AT 7:27 PM