LIFTERS APPEAR DRY - DO I HAVE A PROBLEM?

1994 Cadillac Deville

Kingdombuilder

October, 3, 2012 AT 10:01 PM

I have a 94 Cadillac DeVille that is running good with no warning lights or messages but I noticed when adding a half quart of oil that it does not appear that sufficient oil is being pumped up to the lifters. They are basically dry but for a small amount of oil residue and I was wondering do I have a problem or is this normal?

Lifters

Lifters

hmac300

October, 3, 2012 AT 10:14 PM

Lifters have oil in them and when engine is shut off there is no oil going to them. You would have to look while engine is running and i'm sure you will see plenty of oil splashing around. If you don't hear any noise or loud noise then i' would think you are ok

Kingdombuilder

October, 3, 2012 AT 10:47 PM

Before posting my question(concern)I started the engine and removed the oil filler cap to look for oil splashing around as you state but there was none and that's my concern. Should I have waited for the engine to reach operating temperature maybe?

hmac300

October, 3, 2012 AT 11:04 PM

Not really, has your oil ight came on? Or does it have a gauge? As long as you have oil pressure you should be ok. If one of those lights ogoes onor gauge drops to belwo 20psi at idle you may hear clicking, if you do then you shold worry about it.

Kingdombuilder

October, 3, 2012 AT 11:27 PM

No warning lights or messages have come on. I just became concerned when I saw how oil dry it was looking down through the oil filler cap where I expected that there should be some oil coming in to lubricate the rocker arms.

hmac300

October, 3, 2012 AT 11:29 PM

Not always will it look wet. If it continues to bother yo have apro look at it.

Kingdombuilder

October, 3, 2012 AT 11:53 PM

Can't really afford to spend money on a pro if I don't have to so I thought I would ask around. Just seems to me that at least a spray of oil should be under the rocker arm covers if not a small stream but thank you for replying. Do you think it would be wise to put some Wynn's friction proofing or some other oil additive to my oil?

hmac300

October, 4, 2012 AT 1:01 PM

In all my years of experience I have rarely seen the oil additives work. If youwant to try it go ahead or try sea foam if its' available. Other people have said it works. But rmemeber if yo havenot changed oil at a regular schedlule like every 4-5000 miles you will see what you are seeing although the oil will still get to the parts. I would not worry about it myself

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars