My 1992 Grand Am is unable to start.

DARTH_KALUS
  • 1992 PONTIAC GRAND AM

I have a 92 Grand Am with a 3.3L V6 engine. My car stalled out at an intersection with no warning at all. I coasted it to the side of the road and attempted to start it with no luck. Someone said that it could be the fuel pump but it made a humming noise and sent fuel to the injectors. I replaced the fuel regulator, Ignition coils, the Ignition control module, Crankcase sensor, tried and tested other ECM's, Checked all fuses all but one were ok. The one that was burnt out was an EGRS fuse. I changed it but nothing worked. I had a mechanic look at it and did an injector test. It did not light up using the ECM but it did light up using a testing light. All I know is that something seems to be blocking an electrical reaction from the ECM to the Ignition Control Module. I did have three items come up on the Service Engine Soon light before all this testing was done. I got a Code: 26 Quad Driver Module, 27, Quad Driver Module Circuit, and 39 Torque Clutch Converter Circuit. According the the mechanic he said that it was not the Transmission. He asked me if the tranny made a noise while I was applying the brakes I told him no.

Friday, September 30th, 2011 AT 2:44 AM

DARTH_KALUS

Correction: The Fuse that went out said ERLS.

Friday, September 30th, 2011 AT 2:51 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

This can be a number of things. From what I've been able to find, the usual culprit here is the TCC, either faulty or unplugged.

Friday, September 30th, 2011 AT 3:00 AM
DARTH_KALUS

If the TCC was unplugged where would I be able to find it?

Friday, September 30th, 2011 AT 3:25 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

There would be an electrical connector hanging loose somewhere near the transmission.

Friday, September 30th, 2011 AT 3:30 AM
DARTH_KALUS

Alright, I'll have a look at it sometime in the morning.

Friday, September 30th, 2011 AT 4:13 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

Ok, let us know what you find.

Friday, September 30th, 2011 AT 6:23 AM
DARTH_KALUS

I didn't find anything loose at all around the transmission. Also while I was looking around the engine my friend had an idea that we tried. He used a spray can of Start up. The car tried to start when he sprayed it into the mass airflow meter.

Saturday, October 1st, 2011 AT 4:00 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

I did some more research on this and found out some related information:

The QDM is built into the PCM The most common failures are the EGR solenoid or the Canister Purge solenoid.

Check all computer and sensor grounds.

Other information says it may be the ECM since a number of sensors usually don't fail at once.

The attached image may be helpful.

Saturday, October 1st, 2011 AT 8:24 PM
DARTH_KALUS

According to the mechanic that bailed on he tested 3 different ECM's and switched out the PROM's He said that the ECM and PROMS were good. First, how would I go about checking all the sensor grounds? Second, where exactly is the EGR solenoid / Canister Purge Solenoid located? Would it be found in my Haynes book? Thanks again for the info.

Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 AT 2:22 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

Yes. It should be in the Haynes Manual. The Canister Purge Solenoid is #8 in the image I sent earlier. The EGR solenoid is part of the EGR Valve.

Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 AT 2:40 AM