STALLING AND WON'T START

1992 Pontiac Grand Am

pmariano23

August, 6, 2013 AT 4:48 PM

My car was stalling intermittently, it never stalled at the same time, as in, sometimes the car would be hot and others it would stall after just driving 2 blocks, and still other times it didn't stall at all. I took it in for diagnostics and was told it was the ignition control module. I replaced that, and the coils, and the boots and spark plugs. Still the car wouldn't start. I then replaced the crankshaft sensor and had the throttle position sensor tested. I can hear the fuel pump turn on when I start the car but I am thinking that fuel pressure may be the issue. But I don't know how to test for that. I am at a loss at this point can someone please help. Thank you

Jacobandnickolas

August, 6, 2013 AT 7:22 PM

Check to make sure you are getting a good hot blue snapping spark to the plugs. As far as fuel pressure, there are both a video and directions on our homepage under the DIY section that show you how to check fuel pressure.

Now, if you have good fuel pressure and good spark, the injectors may not be working to actually deliver the fuel into the engine. An easy check is to see if the engine will start with starting fluid. If it does, the fuel system is the issue and we need to narrow it down to find out which component in the system.

Check the fuel pressure so we know it's good, and let me know if it starts with starting fluid.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement