92 HONDA ACCORD HAS ALL 3 BRAKELIGHTS OUT.

• Jackst
  • 1992 HONDA ACCORD
  • 278 MILES

Brake switch has been replaced, right side brake senor replaced, new wire ran from brake switch to backside(trunk) of main harness. Don't have a voltmeter. Trying to figure it out without purchasing any tools, I know it will be a challenge. Any ideas?

Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011 AT 11:52 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

You need something to check for power. Even a home made test light. If you ran a new wire to the main harness and they still don't work, there has to be a problem before the switch. You need to check for power. Make sure fuses are good too. Once you get a light or volt meter, check for power to the switch and out.

Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011 AT 11:56 PM
  • Jackst

It is a new brake switch. I think the old one still worked. The lights do work after I put in a new fuse, but as soon as I drive around for a very short distance then they go out again. I have tried wiggling all of the cables in the trunk with the brake lights on and nothing happens. They work. Until I drive to work the next morning.

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 12:56 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Is the fues blown when this happens?

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 1:10 AM
  • Jackst

Yes the fuses blow.

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 1:27 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

There has to be a short between the new wiring you installed and the lights. Also, check the light sockets. I have seen them break down inside and short.

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 3:54 AM
  • Jackst

The problem is the same even before the new wire was put in. I have one light socket that was corrided inside, but was still working. I disconnected the pig tale (the corrudied wire) and the lights still go out.

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 5:32 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

If it is the same with the new wire, the problem has to be between the two. You bypassed the original wire, so that can't be the problem.

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 5:40 AM
  • Jackst

I will look at the wiring again in the trunk after the main harness. I think I will close the trunk lid this time and from the inside start moving wires around until I see the lights go out. It they go out then maybe that will give a direction or side to pay more attention to. I will let you know what I find.

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 3:34 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Sounds good. Let me know, and have a great Thanksgiving!

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 5:47 PM
  • Jackst

Nothing happened. I replaced the fuse, set brakeslights on, got into the trunk and moved the wires around the bulbs, sensor, main harness, 3rd light wires. Nothing went out. I even jumped up and down on the rear bumper and nothing went out.

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 10:26 PM