Engine not starting

MACJOHNSON
  • 1992 FORD F-150
1992 f150 5.0 keeps shorting out ecm. Would crank and run good cold but when warmed up wont crank back with fire and fuel going to engine. Just spins over
Monday, July 4th, 2011 AT 2:51 PM

How do you know it's shorting ECM out. Tell me where your ECM is located?

The Medic
-1
Monday, July 4th, 2011 AT 3:55 PM
Been a while.

Did ya Getter Done?

Did you mean "IGNITION CONTROL MODULE", that you are having issues with?

Still here, I might can give you more info about them, and Methods to be done, when you have to deal with one. Ain't much, but it could help!

Also I'm assuming that you have tested and verified you have no spark, when it will not crank?

The Medic
+1
Monday, July 4th, 2011 AT 6:51 PM
MACJOHNSON
Yes icm sorry. Located on driverside inner fender. Have spark going everywhere on the cap, coil firing. Have pulled all kinds of trouble codes
-1
Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 AT 1:58 PM
MACJOHNSON
Dual tanks no longer getting fuel to rail. Obviously the fuel pump is whats cooling back down after a few hours and allowing it to start. But, fuel pump is pumping it to filter but not through rail. Some kind of shut of somewhere beetween filter and schrader valve?
Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 AT 4:33 PM
Codes. That should be what you investigate 1st! They may kinda tell you whats going on, sometimes there is no doubt what you must fix, other times something on down the line, causes the code. The code itself may need investigation to find out what to fix.

This may save you some $$$ instead of just slinin' parts at it!

What Codes did you extract?

As far as your fuel rail,

No buy-eee parts till we get Me or another expert here, to figure out what they mean. Locally a really good parts house feller could maybe help with this, There's a manager at the local Auto Zone, who really knows his stuff, maybe you have one too!

Your Turn!

The Medic
Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 AT 11:14 PM
MACJOHNSON
Code 21 ect out of self test range, and 23 tp out of self test range, 33 egr valve opening not detected . Fuel pumps prime fuel up to engine but they wont keep pumping to run it. It will sit overnite and run like new when I start it cold in the mornin. Yes theres a regulator but doesnt that just bleed off accessive pressure? Dont know im going nuts.
Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 AT 12:17 AM
MACJOHNSON
I think ive pinned down what might be going on. What device or module etc. Sends the signal to the fuel pumps to allow them to run. There priming but when the engine is spinning over its like the signal stops. Thats whats getting hot and the signal drops but as long as I dont cut the truck off it continues running. Make any sence? Let me know asap thanks, Nelson.
Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 AT 3:24 PM
Are you talkin, The Fuel Pump Relay. Or something prior to it?

The Medic
Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 AT 4:16 PM
Check the fuel pump relay and the inertia fuel cut off switch
Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 AT 6:01 PM
MACJOHNSON
What device or module etc. Sends the signal to the fuel pumps to allow them to run. There priming but when the engine is spinning over its like the signal stops. Just installed new relays yesterday.
Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 AT 9:59 PM
MACJOHNSON
Inertia fuel cut off switch is good!I think it may be the pickup in the distr, the control module or the main computer. Need to know which one sends that signal.
Friday, July 8th, 2011 AT 1:50 PM
Hi:

I want you to check something. Check the EEC (electronic engine control relay). Also, if you have spark going everywhere on the distributor cap, check it for cracks.
Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 3:45 AM
PAMBUSKI
I have a 1992 f150 4x4 flairside with a 5.0 liter. The truck will run but after it heats up it shuts down and will not start back up for hours. I have changed a lot of sensors and even changed out the entire distributor with a used one. I change the icm with a used one that I had and it cured the problem but only for a few weeks. Had the icm tested and it was faulty. Since then I replaced icm with a new one and it worked for a couple of months and starting to shut down again. Had it tested and it is bad. It does do it more when the weather is hot. The truck does not have a crank sensor and im thinking that it could be the crank sensor shorting out the icm. Does this sound like I m on the right path? I m really running out of patience. I m sorry I m thinking that it could be the pcm shorting out the icm

Need help. Thank you Pete.
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2017 AT 4:16 AM
KEN
Yep it sounds like the ECM is going bad. Fortunately if you get a used unit you can just plug it in to see if it fixes the problem. Shop around for a used one and get back to me please.

Here is the location (below)

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2017 AT 2:28 PM
PAMBUSKI
The ecm or icm?
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2017 AT 4:38 PM
BERGGIE
  • 1992 FORD F-150
1992 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

Engine cranks but will not start. Fuel runs out of the injection intake system. Have purchased an air sensor and can not find where to put it in the engine compartment. Although I am not sure if this is really the problem.
Tuesday, October 3rd, 2017 AT 9:24 PM (Merged)
. Fuel runs out of the injection intake system. It shouldn't be doing that -check the injectors and fuel pressure regulator if its leaking
BERGGIE
Will try that. Not a Ford person. Can you still tell me where that air senor goes as long as I have it I would like to put it in.
Dunno what air sensor you're referring to-whether its the Manifold absolute pressure or the Air Charge temperature sensors see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_map_12.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_act_1.jpg

WILLIE BURKETT
  • 1992 FORD F-150
I cannot understand why I can put new starter on truck it will start a couple of times and then will only click. It is the same thing with every starter. I cannot see getting several bad starters from different parts stores I do not know what else to check. I have replaced everything I can think of.