1992 Dodge Ram

• 1 POST
  • 1992 DODGE RAM

I have a 1992 dodge ram 1500, v8 auto. My problem is that sometimes it will start up and run fine for several days, then it suddenly wont start.I can wait generally 2 to 3 days before trying again and it will fire up like normal. Sometimes it will suddenly die while driving, and i've noticed when this happens all of the lights and gauges flicker right before it dies. Also it seems to be draining the battery even when its parked. I've looked for exposed wires thinking it might be shorting out but haven't found any. Basically I'm stumped. Any suggestion would be very much appeciated.

Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 4:37 PM

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.

Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 5:03 PM