WHITE SMOKE OUT THE EXHAUST

1992 Chevrolet Silverado

FlorLuna

January, 4, 2012 AT 2:39 AM

When I start my truck the exhaust smells like crude gas and continues the whole time running. The exhaust is white smoke, at first only when starting and then went away. Now it smokes when decelerating and when idling. The emergency brake light turned on out of the blue, checked the brake pads and are not worn. My oil pressure is showing that it is past the top pressure and marks all the way to the right.

January, 4, 2012 AT 2:56 AM

White smoke indicates burning coolant. Have a shop do a leak down test to verify.

E brake light could be a bad switch, low fluid level, or hydraulic failure.

Oil pressure gauge may be bad. Have a manual test done to be sure. Replace the sender if it checks ok.

FlorLuna

January, 4, 2012 AT 3:05 AM

Are these types of repairs very expensive? Is there a reason why there is a crude gas smell coming from the exhaust? It is very strong, it seems like the gas is not burning correctly in the combustion chamber. What could cause this?

January, 4, 2012 AT 3:07 AM

Could be but hard to say from here without seeing it. Have a shop check it for you to verify. Then you can get a good idea of what is going on.

FlorLuna

January, 4, 2012 AT 3:13 AM

I did have it checked recently and the mechanic was not sure what could be causing the gas smell. He said it could be the air sensor, he said he believed the engine still has the original sensor. Would you agree?

January, 4, 2012 AT 3:19 AM

What sensor? There are many sensors. If you have white smoke from coolant burning, you need to address that first as that may be the source of your smell.

FlorLuna

January, 4, 2012 AT 3:23 AM

The air sensor on the engine block. How can the coolant burning produce a gas smell from the exhaust? Is it because the coolant is burning instead of the gas completely?

January, 4, 2012 AT 3:25 AM

Yes, it is a mixture of fuel and coolant. Get a shop to check it for you to verify.

FlorLuna

January, 4, 2012 AT 3:30 AM

Thanks for your responses it has helped. I have had some shady mechanics believing because I am a woman they can take advantage. I was lucky that my father taught me about cars. I don't know a lot but do get by and wanted to make sure the mechanic I went to was not trying to take advantage of my situation. Thanks!

January, 4, 2012 AT 3:32 AM

Good luck keep asking questions. Make sure they answer them to your satisfaction.

FlorLuna

January, 4, 2012 AT 3:33 AM

One more quick question. Will this cause my truck to use more gas than it should?

Replacing Head Gasket
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator