S light blinking and speedometer not working

NICKL
  • 1990 HONDA ACCORD
1990 accord with Auto 4sP trans, the S light blinks, and speedometer does not work. I replaced the VSS and problem still remains. I have a 17 code in the ECU and a 4 code in the TCM, I think they both point to the VSS, The Pin that protrudes into the VSS is turning when wheel is turning. Can someone point me to the wiring diagrams for the VSS? Unless you think I should try something else. Can Shifts and runs fine
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 AT 3:16 PM

PROMECHANIC
This is almost always caused by a bad TCM. I usually don't say this, but in this case I would probably just replace it. 90% of the time this will fix it.
It is possible that you are in the 10% that won't fix it, but not likely.
Tuesday, September 20th, 2011 AT 7:00 PM
MOLSONCANADIAN
Promechanic is right, though you should give the VSS a try, as it might fix it and it not very costly.
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 11:56 PM
NICKL
Figures, I'm in the 10%, replaced TCM and got same results, Can you recommend anything else or point me to wiring schematics? This problem started right after I replaced the coil in the distributor. Car was running terrible, after wires, plugs and cap did not solve the problem I replaced the coil, I noticed the cap seal must have been leaking and interior of cap seemed to have moisture. I replaced the coil anyway, but really think the problem was corroded contacts on the spade connectors. Probably just a coincidence, but within a day of getting it running again the trans problem started. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 2:29 AM
NICKL
Does anyone know if the VSS is an input to the ECU and the ECU can be the problem, Since VSS and TCM did not fix the problem and wiring is a low probability, I think I am running out of probable causes. Anyone seen ECU cause this problem?
Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 3:15 PM
KEITHERTL
Had same issue, but has evolved into the s light doesn't come on at all now, and I have to use the key to unlock the transmission to put it into gear. I have to put in in low gear to start out as it is set to
Sunday, October 9th, 2011 AT 9:05 PM
NICKL
Problem ended up being bad VSS, I purchased a Dorman -Part No 911-750 sensor, I returned it for new under warranty and problem fixed. Thanks for your help guys.
Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 2:32 PM