ENGINE DIED WHILE IDLING AFTER A 2 HOUR DRIVE

1990 Chevrolet Silverado

Rltkktlr

February, 3, 2013 AT 5:11 PM

Engine died while idling after a 2 hour drive. Was cold out thought ice, warmed up in garage did start after starting fluid sprayed into tbi. But was hard to start had to pump pedal finally ran. Will start after sitting for a couple hours and run fine. However after sitting overnight only way to start is by starting fluid. Check engine light is on. Not exactly sure how to pull codes though. Does this sound coil related or ECM or neither. The best I can do is start replacing parts.

February, 3, 2013 AT 5:13 PM

Sounds like a fuel pump. Have the pressure checked to verify before throwing part at it.

Pumping the accelarator pedal does nothing to help it start

Rltkktlr

February, 3, 2013 AT 6:03 PM

So a fuel pump would act like that? Not work durning cranking, but once running it kicks in? Have had a few pumps fail and they were totally failed. I should be able to hear pump with key on correct? Thanks for help. And pedal will do something once it fires correct?

February, 3, 2013 AT 6:13 PM

The pump may run for 2 seconds with key on.

Pedal work with it running, obviously.

Pumps can be intermittent. Thats why you need to confrm first with an actual test

Rltkktlr

February, 3, 2013 AT 6:17 PM

Ok thanks. Ya I guess that's what I meant once it fired I really had to pump it to keep it running for prob 30 to 40 sec until it finally runs normal. Will let you know outcome. Thanks for help

February, 3, 2013 AT 6:46 PM

Good luck

Rltkktlr

February, 25, 2013 AT 5:30 PM

Sorry I never posted what the fix was. After I was sure it was getting gas, I changed my thought process. Symptoms were now acting like a ignition control module. That did the trick. Easiest fix I have had in a while.

Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right