PROBLEM STARTING MY '89

1989 Ford Mustang

libertypfc

February, 3, 2011 AT 3:49 AM

My '89 mustang wont start, no clicking or anything when I turn the key. It just turns all the lights on and everything. I got a new battery, and starter solenoid. On the solenoid is 2 prongs that stick out that you attach wires too. If I take 2 flat head screw drivers and cross the 2 it starts my car. But I cant get my car to start if I turn the key. What is wrong!

factoryjack

February, 3, 2011 AT 5:25 AM

Something is stopping the start signal from getting to the starter relay(solenoid). Either a clutch safety switch if this is a manual transmission, or a neutral safety switch on automatic. Th clutch start switch is more than likely on the pedal assembly, and has red/light blue wiring going to both sides. You can disconnect and jump this switch connector with as little as a paper clip or equivalent. If it starts with key it needs a clutch start switch. On the automatic, the wires would be white/pink, and red/light blue. It looks like it is a multi terminal connector, I am not showing a location for it, but I would start with the trans shift linkage, and if not there the floor shifter. It should be closed in park/neutral, or you can jump the terminals the same way for test purposes. In either case if it still doesn't start, check for power when the switch is in start, at the white/pink wire(auto), or one or the other red/light blue(manual). If these do not light a test light, you may have a faulty ignition switch, or circuit betweenit and the clutch/neutral safety switches.

Patti P

September, 28, 2011 AT 6:44 PM

My questions is regarding my 1989 Ford Mustang 2.3 4 cyl. Overhead cam engine with a 5 speed manual stuck shift transmission. Car would NOT run. Diagnosed to need TFI module, EEC relay, and EEC computer. Replaced these items and car runs but engine light stays on, it runs rough, and none of the emission modules are getting hot or working. What other problems can this car be having?

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement