1992 Buick Lesabre will not start

SPAG54
  • 1989 BUICK LESABRE
Jump started my lawn tractor yesterday with the Buick, no problems. Got back into car a few hours later, engaged key absolutley nothing. No clicking no sound at all. Battery is fully charged, can jumper solenoid on starter, starter engages. Checked fuses in car and under hood all appear ok. Disconnected battery to see if that would help, nothing. While under car noticed starter was dirty and oily, worth taking connections apart? This is driving me crazy, please help.
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 6:32 PM

SATURNTECH9
So you jumped the the starter solenoid to the battery cable on the starter and the starter kicked over?Do you have a multimeter or test light?
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 6:48 PM
ASEMASTER6371
I believe this is the model with 2 positive cables on the battery stacked together. It is common for that connection to corrode and cause this. It is the only thing I can think of that relates to what you did.

Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 6:48 PM
SPAG54
Roy, THe year on my Lesabre should be 1992 not 1989 sorry for typo.I can get a tester yes. What should I test for. Please get back to me asap driving me nuts. Another thing is when I turn the key to the start position the security light constantly blinks. The security light has been on always for the past six months with no ill effects. Just don't understand why everyhing was fine now nothing.
Wednesday, August 17th, 2011 AT 10:24 AM
SPAG54
Locksmith told me it is a broken wire on security system, need to replace lock cylinder an wiring.
Wednesday, August 17th, 2011 AT 2:18 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Yep, there are 2 very thin wires in the lock cylinder that break and disable the starting system. It requires disassembly of the column to replace the lock cylinder assembly.
You will need a shop for this unless you have steering column expierence.

Wednesday, August 17th, 2011 AT 2:40 PM
SPAG54
Could jump staring my lawn tractor drawing down the battery have caused the security sytem to lockout the ignition?
Wednesday, August 17th, 2011 AT 2:53 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Nope, I think it was have happened even if you did not jump it.

Wednesday, August 17th, 2011 AT 3:11 PM