The engine turns when im turning the key to.

ERNIEALONSO
  • 1987 TOYOTA CAMRY

The engine turns when im turning the key to start. However when its trying to start the ignition lights on the dash begin to flash. It seems as if though something in the ignition system is not operationg properly

Monday, January 7th, 2013 AT 4:47 AM

When was last tune-up? Double check battery if it has 12.6 or higher voltage also make sure its clean, tight and free of corrosion. If okay-check the ignition switch

Monday, January 7th, 2013 AT 11:40 AM
ERNIEALONSO

Yes ive checked both items. However I have a spark and I also have fuel pressure. It seems like the engine wants to start but after about 3 seconds it no longer wants to start. Can you tell me if it might have something to do with the timing or a sensor that might be doing this? Also I only have power to the fuel pump only when im tryiing to start the car. It does not have power when the key is in the ignition position. Is this ok regarding the fuel pump? Or does the fuel pump have to have 12v when key in ignition position

Tuesday, January 8th, 2013 AT 8:02 PM

Carb or EFI fuel system?

The fuel pump has to have power when the ignition switch is turn on-check/test the ignition switch

Tuesday, January 8th, 2013 AT 9:08 PM