1987 Dodge Dakota coil

BROKENEGGS
  • 1987 DODGE DAKOTA
How Can I Test My Coil To See If It Is Bad?
Saturday, March 22nd, 2014 AT 11:55 AM

Take the coil wire off the distributor cap, hold close to engine ground/metal part. Have helper crank it while you watch for spark to jump from coil wire to ground. If you have spark, I believe the coil is ok. If no spark, check for primary voltage to positive side of coil, I believe it goes hot/voltage with the key on. You may also have to check the coil wire.

Did you visually check for spark at the plugs with engine cranking?

With wires disconnected from coil, you can do an ohms test between positive and negative side of coil, 1--2 ohms.
Saturday, March 22nd, 2014 AT 12:30 PM
BROKENEGGS
To Answer Your Question, Did I Check For Spark From Coil Wire The Answer Is Yes And There Was None. Do You Think I Should Go Ahead And Replace The Coil And Also The Coil Wire To Make Sure?
+1
Saturday, March 22nd, 2014 AT 4:21 PM
Can you do a little testing? If you don't have primary voltage at the coil, replacing the coil won't help.

If you want to replace coil without any testing, that's up to you, it your money. It might fix your problem?
Sunday, March 23rd, 2014 AT 11:53 AM
BROKENEGGS
Where Does Primary Voltage To The Coil Come From & How Do I Check To See If Their Is Any Primary Voltage Reaching The Coil?
Sunday, March 23rd, 2014 AT 1:05 PM
The positive side of the coil, key on, dark blue wire. That circuit is fuse protected, fuse 13 in your fuse box. The voltage to the fuse comes from ignition switch.

Use a testlite on both sides of coil with key on, anything there?
-1
Sunday, March 23rd, 2014 AT 1:19 PM