Engine will not start

WEATHERGUY
  • 1987 ACURA LEGEND

Replaced the water pump and timing belt, but now it does not start. After I had removed the timing belt and cleaned the crankshaft pulley, I realized that I had used the wrong notch to find TDC. However, when I put the new belt on the engine would not start?

I have spark, but I do not smell a strong gas smell when I crank the engine (I am enclosed on three sides).

I love this site :-)

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:22 PM

SATURNTECH9

If ran before you replaced the timing belt and water pump then the first thing I would check is to make sure the timing marks are in the correct spots.

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:30 PM

If it ran before the timing be;t replacement, I agree with/Sat9 the valve timing is off. Did you put the number one piston on its compression/TDC?

+1
Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:41 PM
WEATHERGUY

Number one piston is at TDC.

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:49 PM
SATURNTECH9

So did you use a repair manual to line up the marks? Because unless you broke something or left something unplugged your timing is off. There is not many other possibilities here.

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:54 PM
WEATHERGUY

Yes. It said to line up the pointer and the notch with a white mark, but I used the wrong notch to line things up before I removed the timing belt. I could not see the mark until after I had cleaned the crankshaft pulley. After I put the new belt on and rotated the crankshaft, the white mark on the crankshaft and the red mark on the back camshaft pulley lined up. This should have number one piston at TDC.
Short of taking the new belt off, I have redone the entire replacement.

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 10:05 PM
SATURNTECH9

Have you done a compression test yet? If not do that and give me compression results.

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 10:41 PM
WEATHERGUY

Does not look good about 65 on one two and three; about 35 on five and six; almost nothing on four.

Friday, December 9th, 2011 AT 10:53 PM
SATURNTECH9

Why did you change the belt did the belt break will driving it?

Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 12:03 AM
WEATHERGUY

My water pump went out. I had to loosen the timing belt to replace the water pump, so I thought I should replace the belt, since it had 202,000 miles on it.
Also, today I took my air filter off, and it did not seem to be drawing any air through the intake manifold when I cranked the engine.

Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 1:45 AM
SATURNTECH9

With compression that low it is not going to have much sucking on the throttle body. If all the timing marks are aligned then it sounds like you have some bent valves. You said earlier you had the timing marks off at first when they were off did you try to start it? Or crank the engine over?

-1
Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 1:52 AM
SATURNTECH9

That is a interference fit engine, meaning valves will hit the pistons and bend valves if it is out of time.

Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 1:55 AM
KEVTBEAR57
  • 1987 ACURA LEGEND

Six cylinder front wheel drive manual 220,000 miles

this car has done this since we got it. we have replaced the EICU, basic tune up. Fuel pressure regulator.

The "main relay" was supposedly reputable shop?

Car runs rough when cold, but after is warms it runs out smooth and great.

bit of a tapping or clicking noise. perhaps injectors?

another forum suggested main relay or "fuel pump relay"?

I will re-visit both of those issues?

If your have any idea's I thank you in advance.

Kevin

kevtbear57@hotmail.com

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/372086_20100304_165619_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/372086_20100304_165634_1.jpg

Wednesday, March 1st, 2017 AT 3:38 PM (Merged)
KEVTBEAR57

I replaced a temperature sensor just below distributor and the thermostat and so far so good.

KEVTBEAR57
  • 1987 ACURA LEGEND

Six cylinder front wheel drive manual 218,000 miles

recent purchase. Lots of jimmy rigging, custom air breather, vacuum seems not to leak, custom exhaust? Fixed already. New negative ground to battery, alternator connection, basic tune up, plugs, rotor and cap. "the car will start and run fine on say a thirty mile trip, but when you drive it around town with stopping and starting the car will fail to start. When it does it appears to have flooded, and lots of black smoke out pipe. For short period of time. " always seems to start and run fine from being cold. The car is clean and I am thinking that youngsters have only own it a short time. Meaning any after market custom work. Some have said it is a fuel regulator issue? They have the fuel pump wired into a toggle switch apparently for security.
Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Kevtbear57@hotmail. Com

Kevin

KHLOW2008

Hi Kevin,

Seems the problem is fuel related and possible causes are :

1. Engine coolant temperature sensor.
2. Fuel pressure regulator.
3. Fuel injectors.
4. ECM.

Is the Check Engine Light showing when engine is running?

KEVTBEAR57

Many things "jimmy rigging" on this car and one is that the 'fuel press regulator" is a used one and they have it in there upside down and it was pinching off a vacuum line.

One of my things is that I am attempting to do all of this on the cheap, sad but true.

"fuel press regulator" is $140.00 to $68.00 so still looking for or hoping that is not the problem and something else, but it is a process of elimination.

Thanks you have been very helpful.
Kevin

KHLOW2008

You may try the scrap yard for the parts, should cost almost nothing.

What do you mean by pinching off a vacumn line? The pressure regulator needs a vacumn line to reduce the pressure during idling and if the vacumn is not working, it would run rich.

KEVTBEAR57

Pictures being worth a few words.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/372086_IMAG0016_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/372086_IMAG0017_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/372086_IMAG0018_2.jpg

KEVTBEAR57

When cold car starts and runs, generally smooth, when I first got it was loading up when running now only seems to load up, when it is warm and not wanting to start when the engine is hot. Meaning if you stop the car it will start right back up, but if it sits for a period of time then it has trouble starting?

Sorry my internet connection very inconsistent here.

Again thanks.
Kevin
kevtbear57@hotmail. Com

KHLOW2008

Yes, the pressure regulator is wrong side up. Most probably the previous guy could not find a replacement part or the part installed is of a higher pressure.

If the engine is difficult to start when it is hot, we need to know if it is fuel or ignition related.

When engine could not start, check for ignition sparks. If it is available, check the fuel pressure.

Knowing what is missing would enable us to understand the problem.

Does the Check Engine Light come on when driving? This model should have the LED on the ECU sight window.