ENGINE WONT START

• weatherguy
  • 1987 Acura Legend

1987 acura legend, 2.5I replaced the water pump and timing belt, but now it doesn't start. After I had removed the timing belt and cleaned the crankshaft pulley, I realized that I had used the wrong notch to find TDC. However, when I put the new belt on the engine would not start?

I have spark, but I don't smell a strong gas smell when I crank the engine (I am enclosed on three sides).

I love this site : -)

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:22 PM

• saturntech9

If ran before you replaced the timing belt and water pump then the first thing I would check is to make sure the timing marks are in the correct spots.

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:30 PM
  • rasmataz

If it ran before the TB replacement- I agree with/Sat9 the valve timing is off-Did you put the no.1 piston on its compression/TDC?

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:41 PM
  • weatherguy

No. 1 piston is at TDC.

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:49 PM
  • saturntech9

So did you use a repair manual to line up the marks?Because unless you broke something o left something unplugged your timing is off. There isnt many other possibiltys here.

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 9:54 PM
  • weatherguy

Yes. It said to line up the pointer and the notch with a white mark, but I used the wrong notch to line things up before I removed the timing belt. I could not see the mark until after I had cleaned the crankshaft pulley. After I put the new belt on and rotated the crankshaft, the white mark on the crankshaft and the red mark on the back camshaft pulley lined up. This should have No. 1 piston at TDC.
Short of taking the new belt off, I have redone the entire replacement.

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 10:05 PM
  • saturntech9

Have you done a compression test yet?If not do that and give me compression results.

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 10:41 PM
  • weatherguy

Doesn't look good. About 65 on 1, 2 and 3; about 35 on 5 and 6; almost nothing on 4

Friday, December 9th, 2011 AT 10:53 PM
  • saturntech9

Why did you change the belt did the belt break will driving it?

Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 12:03 AM
  • weatherguy

My water pump went out. I had to loosen the timing belt to replace the water pump, so I thought I should replace the belt, since it had 202,000 miles on it.
Also today, I took my air filter off, and it did not seem to be drawing any air through the intake manifold when I cranked the engine.

Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 1:45 AM
  • saturntech9

With compression that low its not going to have much sucking on the throttle body. If all the timing marks are aligned then it sounds like you have some bent valves. You said earlier you had the timing marks off at first when they were off did you try to start it?Or crank the engine over?

Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 1:52 AM