MY BRAKES WILL WORK FINE ON SHORT DISTANCES BUT ...

1986 Nissan Truck

AZPhil

November, 27, 2012 AT 10:37 PM

My brakes will work fine on short distances but when I drive over a mile they get mushy and the pedal goes to the floor. I have replaced a leaking hose and then replace the front brake pads, did a bleed and still mushy. I replaced the master cylinder and bleed the whole system. They work for a short distance ( firm and strong) but when I drive over a mile the pedal goes to the floor. If I pump the brakes they work again but if I drive a bit they go mushy and to the floor again. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Semper Fi
Phil.

AZPhil

November, 29, 2012 AT 5:08 AM

Guys,
I could really use some help with this problem!
This is my ride to work and anything you could tell me would be great! So far I wasted close to $100 in parts I didn't need and I don't want to waste any more cash. If my donation was not enough let me Know!
Semper Fi
Phil

December, 3, 2012 AT 3:53 AM

THIS IS HOW I DO IT---I DON'T NECESSARILY BENCH BLEED THE MASTER CYLINDER UNLESS IT'S BEING REPLACED OR HAS GONE DRY

NEVER SAW YOUR QUESTION UP FOR GRABS

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1999-ford-f-150-brakes--3

THIS IS SIMPLE, EVEN SOMEONE ON "THE ISLAND" --DAY 2--COULD DO IT---PROBABLY REALLY FAST TOO!

LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!

December, 3, 2012 AT 8:50 PM

Check the load sensing valve for leakages.

AZPhil

December, 4, 2012 AT 5:34 AM

I took care of the problem. It was the Brake Booster that was bad.

December, 5, 2012 AT 1:45 PM

Glad to know that you have fixed the problem but I have never encountered a booster producing such symptoms and logically it should be hard with braking efficiency dropping.

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Like a Pro
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front